Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I use deordorant while breastfeeding?

bbbttt is offline Registered User

Can I use deordorant while breastfeeding?

Hi, My baby is two weeks old and I am doing breastfeed. Just wonder if I could use deordorant at the same time. Any sharing please? I thought of using organic deordorant but am not sure whether there is any in Hong Kong...

Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    please do... i've breastfed two babies and ALWAYS use deoderant... can't imagine NOT using it here, especially in the killer summers!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    When a baby is first born the sense which is best developed is the sense of smell. The baby uses this to help him get to the nipple and initiate breastfeeding. (If you would like to see a short video of this check out http://www.breastcrawl.org/)

Because of this it is recommended not to wear strong perfumes, including deodorant, until the baby has started to breastfeeding. At two weeks, I imagine, that your baby has no problems knowing what to do at the breast and so wearing deodorant now will make no difference to the baby. But if you find that that the baby does start to get upset breastfeeding the first thing to try is removing the deodorant.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    You can find some naturals deodorants, lemon and rose perfumes on the biological internet site www.kinoa-shop.com. I use the lemon one, which I find very efficient, and I breastfeed too.
    Cheers,
    Virginie

carmenwong is offline Registered User
    I suggest to stick w/ something that is lightly scented, because baby's sense of smell is strong, anything that smells too strong might be disturbing to them.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I wore deodorant while breastfeeding but stuck to one that does not have a strong smell. I stopped using my usual perfume for the first few months and also did not use any fragranced moisturisers or body wash on my chest or breasts.

capital is offline Banned
    It is fine to wear deodorant. I always did and do. I did use unscented, but that is mroe for me because I can't stand the smell of scented things, perfume, etc.

bbbttt is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I am relieved now! Will try one of those unscented natural ones. Hope it works on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast