Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

new helper procedure

mushi is offline Registered User

Unhappy new helper procedure

:cribhello,
    i am in the process of getting a new helper and wanted to know more about the LEVY which is supposed to be paid by the employer.
    in case the helper is still in contract but the employer has to break the contract because he has to leave Hong Kong, does he still have to pay the full $9600? does he get a refund for the balance period ?

also as far as i understood from the Guidebook of domestic helpers the employer has to pay for the foll:
    1. helper's salary
    2. helper's insurance
    3. levy
    4. helper's return fare to hometown (only once a year)

is there any other charge applicable?

pls. HELP!!!

sky123 is offline Registered User
    We're paying the levy in 4 installments of HK$2,400. I think you only have to pay one airfare at the end of the two year contract or on termination.

sesamestreet is offline Registered User
    The levy is not refundable under any circumstances. However, if the Helper fails to arrive in the HKSAR or his/her employment contract is terminated before running its full course, the balance of levy paid will be taken into account by the Immigration Department when the employer applies for a replacement provided that such application is made within four months from the date the employer becomes aware of the failure of the defaulting helper to arrive in the HKSAR or to complete his/her contract of employment.

mushi is offline Registered User
    thanks sky and sesame street but in wanted to know more about the Levy payable if the employer leaves HK for good in the middle of a contract......RANI could u psl. help
    ?

sky123 is offline Registered User
    See below that is why I suggest paying in installment.

If an employer has prematurely terminated his/her FDH, he/she is required to pay the instalment(s) covering the period of employment only e.g. The employer, who has paid the first instalment, prematurely terminates his/her Helper in the 7th month of the employment contract. He/She is required to pay the second instalment in full only.

barbiegirl is offline Registered User
    As far as i know, the levy you have ALREADY paid are non-refundable under any circumstances or maybe you'd better check with taxation office. But as sky said, the levy could be paid in 4 instalments of 2400. You'd better terminate the contract before you pay the next instalment, then you don't need to pay any further instalment.
    Last edited by barbiegirl; 01-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.