Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

help from indian pple!

sanjana is offline Registered User

help from indian pple!

Hi, if someone could help me how should i explain indian culture to my 3 years old daughter which she needs to tell in her school. And also suggest which fancy song we should play in her class so that all the other kids can dance. Teacher asked if i can bring some homemade food, also what can i take for them.

i am worried a bit for the presentation. Please help me.

Neha is offline Banned
    3 year old food. i would suggest Idlis as most kids cannot eat masala etc. U can make dosas or we even made aloo parathas at playdate and the kids loved it . As the food is bland and also Indian.

Dance when u say fancy u mean bollywood ? if so u can take any of the last year hits and dance on it

Culture is difficult and also how to present it. Do u have to make some charts etc. U can make a huge picture book or buy one showing different regions, temples, people.Nothing too detailled as only for 3 year old

Let us know how it goes

Neha

mushi is offline Registered User

indian culture

hi sanjana,
    i had done a little presentation, more like talk to the kids during diwali and we had made clay diyas, torans and done the rangoli together......indian culture could be real vast so choose a topic......say indian dress........it could include wearing sindoor and mangalsutra post marriage, bangles, saris, ornaments, bindis all of which could fascinate the little girls......

you can show them the tradition of touching elders feet as a mark of showing respect...or u can talk to them about festivals.....pick an interesting one that u can show like diwali, rakhi, holi.......can use colours....

think of what would interest kids and yr work is done!

hope this helps...all the best!

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    She's only 3 years old so suggest you pick one topic that she can talk about. Unless you are doing the talking - in that case too better to pick one topic.

My suggestions - pick her favourite Indian outfit to show in class with all accessories bangles, bindis, payal. Or a picture of your family all in Indian attire.

Or her favourite story - any Amar Chatra Katha/ Panchatantra/DVDs -Bal Ganesh that she can talk about. What it's about, why she likes it.

Or how we greet people in India - Simple namaste.

Her favourite song from a hindi movie that she dances to.(my son at that age loved "dilbara" from Dus :D)

And if worried about spices then take a sweet for the kids. Barfi, laddu, Gulab Jamun.

Let us know what you did. Good luck ! :)

sanjana is offline Registered User
    Hi Neha, Mushi and Scr thanks for the help. Your advices are really great and i am surely going to use most of them. Hah! what a relief. Talking about bangles, sari n all is good and fun with kids. Thanks once again.

Sanjana