Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Changing OB?GYN need advise please...

Kylie is offline Registered User

Changing OB?GYN need advise please...

Hi there,
    I am in my early stages of pregnancy and I am looking for a new doctor. My last pregnancy ended in a late miscarriage and through this my doctor was not available for me. Yesterday I also had a scare and once again he was not available to even talk to.
    I guess I just want someone I can trust and someone who is caring and a brilliant doctor.
    I am fully covered and would prefer to have our baby at the matilda so would really appreciate any advise or recommendations.
    Thanks so much.

Clowe is offline Registered User
    wow that's terrible of your doctor to be so elusive during such hard times for you. can you let us know who he/she was so that us ladies out here are alerted?

i'd recommend dr dawkins whom i am with now (i'm expecting in april) but he is leaving HK in july this year. i can recommend dr philip ho, however, whom we also went to for fertility treatments. from our experience and everything we have about him, he is nothing if not trustworthy and responsible. his nurse kelly is also amazing and ALWAYS happy to talk to you or if necessary put you through to him. he delivers at matilda as well.

i hope everything goes well for you this time. i'm sure it will! take care.

Thanks so much Clowe for your advise.
    I am so sorry to say it, but my doctor was Dr Dawkins, He is a great doctor but I guess I have lost my faith in him with regard to being there for me in an emergency, I also appreciate that he is a very busy man and sometimes these things do happen and I am sure your care under him is wonderful.
    Good luck with your birth.

UKlady is offline Registered User
    Hi Kylie,
    I am with Dr christine Choy and would defintiely recommend her. It took me a little while to get used to her (the style of doctors here is just very different to the UK), but she is definitely a brilliant doctor and very supportive. She has just had a baby herself so I think that makes her even more empathetic. She is also a big advocate of natural childbirth if that is interesting to you. Since we fell pregnant she has taken a long time over our scans and shared in our excitement, and really got my husband involved. While I was having fertility treatment with her she also used to call me personally with any important test results etc, and always called me back if I tried to get hold of her.
    The only problem I have with her is that she is expensive and I sometimes wonder if she's doing tests/selling me things I don't need, but I am more sensitive to this as we don't have insurance, so if you do I would say give her a try.
    Sorry you've had a hard time, and I hope you find a doctor you're happy with soon.
    Uk Lady

joannek is offline Registered User
    i recommend Dr. Louisa Lam. She's very patient, return calls & spends as long as you wish to talk about your concerns (hence the long cue at her clinic, so i try to be the first appmt). 3 years ago, when i had my baby, i told her about natural birthing thru hypnosis & this was what she said, "well, my job is to make sure that you & the baby are both safe, as long as we can keep that part, i don't care what method you use. sure if you don't want an epi, but i suggest you keep your options opened just in case you change your mind at that moment."

she made sure i didn't go to one of the "rip-off" hospitals in town (very famous one, i don't want to name here). i also asked her to check my baby, cos i didn't have a choice for ped yet. when my baby was born (in matilda), i didn't want her to have that shot that will leave a scar on the arm, so she did the shot for my baby, and made sure it was "inside the bikini line" on the bump. when matilda asked to have my daughter's blood checked for jaundice, she came in on the 2nd day of chinese new year (i had my daughter the day before chinese new year) to made sure that my daughter was not jaundice hence no need to put the needle thru her heel. i also know that she did a test tube fertility treatment during the chinese new year holiday. and when she has patients' dure date around the holidays, she make sure she's in town.

it's a bit long here, but i really like her. =)

good luck!

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    Dr. Philip Ho is terrific...and couldn't say more about his assistant Kelly.

Thanks so much ladies, i really appreciate your advise. I have actually seen Christine Choy and loved her but she is not prepared to deliver at the matilda which is a bummer and since I have the coverage I would much prefer the matilda over the adventist. I have to have a c-section for medical reasons so my stay is quite important to me. Adventist is not a bad hospital but during my stay when our baby was sick, I found it to be cramped and not that clean.
    The great news is I have an appointment with Phillip Ho next week, he sounds wonderful, so fingers crossed he is the one.
    Thanks for your recommdation for Dr Lam also, I now have lots of great positive doctors up my sleeve.
    Cheers

rebekah is offline Registered User
    Kylie,

Not to defend Dr. Dawkins, but I do know he was ill that day, and was also leaving out of town (I saw him that morning, and called later in the day and he was not there, but I was quickly referred to another Doctor for questions) Regardless, he is leaving this summer to return to Australia, so if you plan on having another, would be wise to seek out another OB anyway. I know I considered changing when I found this out, but being at 24 weeks, i figured I should just stay and change with the next baby. Hope you find someone who suits you well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast