Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mandarin playgroups - specifics

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User

Mandarin playgroups - specifics

Hello all,
    I've read all the thread on Mandarin playgroups and am trying to find the one that's the right fit for my 2.5 year old daughter. We have checked out Beijing Mandarin in Wan Chai and Kidsland in Causeway Bay so far. I liked Kidsland a lot, lots of play and the teacher seemed really focused on each individual child's needs. Beijing Mandarin was not really a playgroup in that there was no actual play, it was a more school-like situation with a teacher and a workbook and activities. I am also going to check out Blossoms Early Mandarin and I am interesting in the Yifan Mandarin, Mandarin for Munchkins class offered by the YWCA. I am not sure I can do a trial at the YWCA class - can anyone - Rani? - who has done the class tell me a little more about it? What kinds of activities? How much teacher led, how much play, that sort of thing? Thanks!

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

I have been to Blossoms and the YWCA. Both are play based using toys and flash cards. You can't do a trial class at the Y - you have to sign up and pay for the whole course. While the Y was good I liked Blossoms the best. The teacher keeps things flowing well and my 4 year old who refuses to speak mandarin at school loved the Blossoms playgroup. You get to pay class by class too so you don't have to commit up front. We would still be attending Blossoms if it they did classes out our way (NT).....

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User

Thanks! I tried Blossoms up in North Point and my daughter didn't seem to enjoy it as much as Kidland.