Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which school (DBIS, GSIS, Kellett or FIS)

HappyV is offline Registered User

Just to clarify - ALL ESF schools are now offereing the IB diploma program: May/June 2008 will be the last A-level graduates.

GSIS does have a good academic record, but I have heard along the grapevine that their results have been not as good (but still, very good, if you know what I mean) 0ver the last two years. Apparently the exchange rate with the Euro means they are having trouble replacing staff.

Kellett is great - fantastic, warm environment. In my opinion, a much nicer primary that GSIS.

As for ESF, it depends which school you go to. They all have varying demographics and routines and staff. But apparently >95% go on to university, so that';s pretty good in my book!

If you're considering DBIS - DB is a FANTASTIC place to live with young kids. Just really check out the school's literacy programs - I'm not really sure how they compete academically with with ESK/Kellett/GSIS. I hear varying reports, and as a previous poster said, it comes down to what your priorities are.

Freya is offline Registered User

Since my children began ESF high school I have been most impressed. We were looking at boarding schools as an option from year 8, however, seeing the high standard of education and facilities, the excellent level of committment from the teachers and the whole community feel along with the responsiveness to both parents and students and thriving children educationally and socially, thankfully boarding school is no longer an option.

Excellent acedemic results compared to not only other schools in HK but in comparison to UK private schools also adds to the decision.

Overall an excellent choice.

In regards to children miss behaving on the ferry, parents do have to take responsibillity for their teenagers out of school, but if this behaviour was reported to the respective schools they would take action immediately, and it's not just esf teenagers let me assure you, so not a constructive comment by Jane01.

jane01 is offline Registered User

Freya - I appreciate your comment that parents are the ones responsible for their children outside school. I understand that behaviour of children on the DB ferry to and from school has been reported numerous times. There is even a special announcement telling "boys and girls" to behave themselves. There is sometimes a minor improvement immediately after the incident, but overall, no change.

However, from the point of view of a member of the public, how else do you judge a school except for the behaviour of its students in general? How can I help but think the school has low standards of behaviour when I see teenagers with short skirts, high heels and make up every day going to school. When I overhear conversations about sex and drugs on the ferry and bus. Frankly, that is not what I want for my daughters.

I'm not the school police. As I have mentioned, there have been many complaints over the years. I don't have the time or inclination to get involved. I will, however, make sure that my daughters are not exposed to what I believe is inappropriate behaviour in young girls. I can't protect them forever, but I can try !

Freya is offline Registered User

There will always be the minority who will misbehave, and I don't think it is the schools fault, but sadly how they are brought up at home, and lack of parental involvement in thier upbringing in most cases, along with too much disposable income. Unfortunately, though you are going to find it very hard to find a school for your girls as I have witnessed teenagers from all of the internatinal schools on the DB ferry misbehaving and I have to say worse than some of the ESF teenagers.

rani is offline Administrator

If anyone was in Wanchai on NY's Eve, I'm sure you must have seen the ESF teenagers who were buying alcohol from the 7-11. They were over 100 kids drinking on Lockhart Rd. At midnight they all got really rowdy and spilled onto the road and stopped traffic. A few jumped and sat on taxis and one boy actually stood on top of a moving taxi. Another Mum and I watched in horror, hoping none of the kids would get hurt. The police watched from across the street and were a bit late to react. Fortunately, none were injured.

I have to agree with Freya. As HK is a safe city, the kids have a lot more freedom than they would back home. Plus high disposable incomes mean more pocket money for the kids.

Am a ESF brat. So have witnessed and admit to doing some crazy stuff too.

misskb is offline Registered User

If its learning through play you are after, have a look at HK Academy. Like everywhere a very long wait list, but worth a try. The keener you are to be involved in the school, the more they want you!

Kellett is great, but much more formal teaching style.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

I think teenagers will be teenagers regardless of where they go to school.

I am also an ESF brat and am pretty sure could tell some stories that would make many parents horrified at goings on in ESF secondary schools.
    HOWEVER my point is these goings on happen wherever teenagers congregate.....I spent two years at one of the top boarding schools in the UK and believe me things were the same there.

The difference with ESF schools is that the majority of children are from stable homes, with good incomes and parents who are usually professionals and so while yes as teenagers they do crazy things (who doesn't/hasn't) but they still get the results and go on to great universities etc.

I speak from experience!

My ESF secondary school was fantastic....I don't think it's as good now because I think like most ESF schools over the past ten years they have grown too big and that changes their atmosphere etc.

As for the children/teenagers misbehaving on the ferry, from my experience it is kids from all schools that act up on the ferry....not just ESF kids.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Jane01 - You should be on the MTR at Kowloon Tong when the school bell goes! You'll get the same conversations from the students pouring out of AISHK and Yew Cheung (the most expensive school in HK, along with HKIS).

I agree though about the dress standards at sone ESF schools. I've heard staff saying that everytime they do a uniform bliz, they get complaints from parents, saying that their child is being 'picked on'. I personally think that the biggest problem is that the Y12-13 students don;t haev to wear uniform. Even though they have a dress code, what these students (especially girls) wera to school is just unreal. It does make the school look sloppy.

I went to a private school, and while we didn't like hearing it, how you look is important. We know as adults that it is true, but convincing a teenager is another matter. Again -0 if a child is leaving the house in the morning wearing 2inch heels a a skirt that shows their underwear, then the school can only do so much - again, I think it's (mostly, partly) up to parents to enforce that their kids look respectable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12