Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which school (DBIS, GSIS, Kellett or FIS)

Cecilia & Nadim is offline Registered User

Which school (DBIS, GSIS, Kellett or FIS)

I have recently moved to HK and kids and Mrs to follow in July 08. Really struggling to decide which school to go for and where to live. We have 2 boys, age 5 and 3yrs. They go to a very good school in London and would like to ensure an equally good school here. We have applied to Kellett, GSIS, FIS and DBIS, but the waiting lists are very long. There is a high likelihood that our boys will get into DBIS, but would like to ask people if it is a good school and how is DB as a place to live. I went to visit DBIS and quite liked the school, but always helpful if people can share their own experience.

We would really appreciate any input. Many thanks.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    We live in DB and my eldest (4.5) goes to DBIS. We enjoy living here and absolutely love DBIS. Whether DB is convenient for you, may depend on your work. My husband works at the airport and I work in Central, so DB is the most convenient place for both of us. It will also depend on which school you choose for your children. I wouldn't send my young children to a school on HK Island, although plenty of people do.

What are you looking for in a school? DBIS follows a 'learn through play' philosophy which I LOVE for Kindy/primary. The teachers are wonderful, good staff to children ratio and excellent facilities. I think the principal is a wonderful educator and is doing a fantastic job.

GSIS - has an excellent academic reputation. I don't know much else about it.

FIS - I don't know anything about it.

ESF schools - personally I'm avoiding them. I feel they are too political, not community based and not responsive to the wishes of parents and needs of students. Whilst they have a reasonable academic reputation (not as good as GSIS) I think the standard is a bit hit and miss at different schools. I don't know about Kellett in particular. Just having a look at the standard of dress/uniform/behaviour of the ESF schools on the DB ferry is enough to turn me off them for my children.

There is an ESF school currently being built in DB which I believe is opening in Sept 08.

Cecilia & Nadim is offline Registered User
    Thanks very much. Kind of comments I was looking for.

We are really after a school that follows the philosophy of learn through play. This is what my kids do in school in Lonodn at the moment and I really like that. This makes them more practical and enables them to think outside the box. One of my concerns with HK school is that they tend to be fairly regemented and very academic. I am not a big buyer of that. So good to hear that DBIS is different.

I went to visit DBIS last week, saw children in action, met the deputy principal. I quite liked it all.

Does anyone has any bad things to say about DBIS or DB in general?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I found DBIS to be rather limiting when I interviewed the head of the nursery school. I found that they had a way of doing something and could not think outside that box. this is not something that I want from a school for my children. i want them to be able to see something from different ways and come to a conclusion based on all the facts - not just what the school wants to teach!

We are opting for either a montessori program or ESF - the ESF at Tsing Yi is run by a bunch of lovelly teachers and they appear to be very community minded (sorry Jane) and "friends" with each other - you could tell just by listening to them talk.

I know this is different than the above but just thought I would throw in my 2cents worth.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Previous poster implied kellett is part of ESF - it isn't.

jtWannabe is offline Registered User
    I went on an open day around GSIS - it was a bit scary. Very pushy and stern atmosphere - the kids didn't look that happy.

Maybe we just caught them on a bad day...

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I think it is all down to what you want from a school as a parent and what school would suit your child best.

Personally I don't like the ESF kindergarten in Tsing Yi.In the past they have been lax on literacy and numeracy. I think they've been forced to focus more on it recently but I wouldn't send my son there.

But like I said, I think it's important to visit the schools and make your own judgement call.

I know quite a few people with children at dbis and they have had nothing but good things to say about the school.

I went to an esf school (many years ago), as did my brothers. When I started at my ESF secondary school it had 700 students; the same school now has almost double that number of students.

When I went to the school it was very much a part of the community, all the students knew all the teachers, and the majority of parents were involved in the school.

Today the situation has changed a lot...and it's no longer so involved in the community and vice versa. I personally wouldn't send my children there, which is a shame because I had a wonderful time there and a great education.

But even then there was a lack of support for children who weren't academic, and who didn't partic. like school.

I agree that it is hit and miss with the esf schools, and some are better than others....hence why some are oversubscribed and others are less full.

But again there are plenty of parents who are happy with them so again personal choice.....

The new school in db is not a traditional ESF school. It is a private independent school run by ESF educational services....it follows diff curriculum and the sch fees are more expensive.

shri is offline Administrator
    >> GSIS - it was a bit scary. Very pushy and stern
    >> atmosphere

German and Swiss .. would you expect anything less than stern? :)

Academically considered top notch though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast