Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Have you flown on Oasis?

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

Have you flown on Oasis?

Hi all...

We are planning a trip back to the States this Spring, and it looks like we'll be flying Oasis, as that is the best rate we can find. We'll fly into Vancouver and my hubby's parents will pick us up and drive us down to Seattle, where we will be staying.

Do any of you have experience on Oasis? Are they good? How much baggage can you check? It says no more than 60lbs, but is that a limit of only one bag, or can you take 2 bags of each 60 lbs, or is it 2 bags and 60 lbs total? :) Also, it says that strollers must be checked. Can we check it at the gate?

It has been a long time since I have flown. (Nearly 3 years!) and I will be traveling with a 5 year old and a one year old. Hubby will be with us on the way there, but he is returning to HK a couple of weeks before us. Any tips or advice for a smooth trip?
    All the best,
    Katie

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    My family and I have flown quite a lot on Oasis over the last two years. I’ve found then to give very good service. When my daughter (aged six) was sick the airhostesses were very nice to her. One took her away to the toilet to get cleaned up and two others helped me clean the seat.

I like the fact that you can buy one way tickets. It means that it is quite easy to travel together even if you buy the tickets at different times.

For the baggage allowance we were allowed 20 kg. This is standard for flights to the UK. The maximum in any one bag last year was 32 Kg.

li555 is offline Registered User
    We just flew Oasis and everything was good. You can check the stroller at the gate. It counts as one piece of checked baggage. I think you are allowed two checked bags per passenger with a seat. But, we had a bit of a wait at the other end for them to bring the stroller back to us. I would wait for it because the walk to customs is quite a distance.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    We just did a return trip with them and they were absolutely fine, no complaints at all. I would definitely compare them with any of the major airlines, it's just that you might not get all the little frills like free toiletries pack or free snacks and drinks throughout the flight.

Also the videos were not on-demand, so you could choose the channel you wanted but not what time to start the movie. But that's the same as some of the other airlines anyway.

For the price, they are fantastic.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I've got another couple of questions. We are about to buy our tickets. Since my hubby will be with me on the way there, we are not buying a ticket for the baby. However, I will be on my own on the way back. Do you think I should get a seat for her on the way back or is it manageable with her on my lap? Also, do the arm rests go up and down, or are they stationary? Oh, is there a limit for how much baggage each person can take? Is it two bags per person?

Thanks.
    All the best,
    Katie

JoTs is offline Registered User
    I flew back from London with my 2 year old son on my own (I was 27 weeks pregnant too) a few weeks ago.

Oasis were absolutely fine, there was a 2 hour delay but we were kept in the departure lounge so my son could run around.

The only downside was that we were on the first row of seats with just 2 seats at the window side at the back of the plane, I thought this would be a great option then we would be on our own not disturbing anyone. But in these seats the armrest doesnt move - so my son couldn't lie across my lap and on his seat when he was sleeping, so I didn't get much sleep. It seemed that these were the only seats like this on the plane, everyone else's armrests went up - I didn't notice until it was too late to ask other people to move....

In economy you are allowed 23kg of checked in luggage each and one piece cannot weigh more than 32kg. Infants who don't have a seat can take 10kg of checked in luggage. We gave our pushchair in at the gate of the aeroplane and it was waiting for us at the door of the aeroplane when we got off.

Hope that helps

Jo

momofthree is offline Registered User
    Generally in the front row or bulkhead row of seats the arm rest do not raise up.I would only ever book these when travelling without kids or if you need a bassinette

jodymo is offline Registered User
    We just flew oasis with our newborn and found the service to be fantastic. Our stroller went right up to the gate and was there to greet us as soon as we landed, the staff were only too willing to help us change seats and we noticed they tend to group kids together so you don't have to worry about disturbing others. Our armrests went up, but we hadn't pre-booked bassinets, so don't know if its different for them. I used a fabric sling to harness the baby, and enjoyed a good bit of sleep in pretty omfy chairs. All around I was pleasantly surprised by how great they were. Good Luck!