Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mild Lactose Intolerance

Neha is offline Banned

Mild Lactose Intolerance

Hi

Our son has mild Lactose Intolerance so our Dr in India suggested to give him Soy Milk when he has an upset stomach to calm his stomach and then switch back to his regular Formula. I was wondering does it really matter if we keep in on Soy milk only or should we switch back to regular formula. He finds soy milk much lighter and also he eats solids well. he is 14 months old but always been a poor eater.

Any suggestions or anyone with a similar experience

Thanks

merichan is offline Registered User
    Hi Neha

My case is a bit different as our daughter has a cow milk protein allergy so she is completely off dairy.... so I wont' be speaking directly of experience ;-)

But if your son has been diagnosed with lactose intolerance... I would either keep soy milk or switch to a lactose free formula ( they are sadly rather more expensive and with a lousier taste usually)

And keep dairy only when they are processed like yogurts as theirs levels of lactose in considerably lower than in plain milk.

One thing is lactose intolerance reduces quite easily the appetite... one friend of mine, her 3 yo ended up with a diagnose of anorexia... as he was never hungry anymore... to find out later that he was instead lactose intolerant...

and since following quite strictly a lactose free diet ( which is something tricky and heavy as lactose is added in a lot of finished products like ham etc. ) this little boy is having a nice appetite, taking some weight again...

Merichan
    Last edited by merichan; 01-19-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot signature

miaka is offline Registered User
    i was mildly allergic to cow milk when i was a baby (not sure if it was lactose intolerance) and the dr suggested soy based formula to my parents for me. w/ a soy based formula, you at least have the assurance that your baby is recieving the same nutrients that cow milk based formula has (as opposed to regular soy milk that adults drink .... or perhaps i misunderstood your reference to soy milk). i eventually out grew the allergy and can now drink regular cow milk.

since you would want your child to eventually eat more solids than drink milk, maybe staying on soy is not so bad an idea. maybe run the idea across ur dr or get a second opinion from another dr you trust. good luck

cemily is offline Registered User
    Some say Soy in unfermented form is not good for children esp boys because it is full of plant oestrogen. Here's the article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story...html?gusrc=rss

Rgds

e

Neha is offline Banned
    thanks for all your replies