Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Restless Legs Syndrome

lii
    lii is offline Registered User

Restless Legs Syndrome

Has anyone else had this problem during pregnancy?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_sleep-pr...ndrome_7549.bc

I've recently developed it and it got pretty bad last night the last few nights. I had to make myself super tired before falling asleep and ignoring my restless legs. It happens during the day too, whenever I'm sitting, my legs have this severe itch to get up.

I'm already on a pregnancy supplement called materna which is supposed to be providing some iron (which may help).

Just wondering whether anyone has had this problem and how they dealt with it (without resorting to more supplements).

Clowe is offline Registered User

Gosh, no, not yet at least! I'm 27 weeks now. It sounds really really irritating to say the least. but I guess at least you know it's due to the pregnancy and only temporary.

I've been getting some bad leg cramps during sleep, but they're not as bad as this sounds.

Have you asked your OB and if so what did she/he suggest?

lii
    lii is offline Registered User

I've gone to see my ob/gyn this week and told him about this problem. It seems like he's never heard of it and when I mentioned would I possibly have an iron deficiency, he told me no, my blood work was OK the last time they checked.

I have increased my red meat intake (used to eat mainly chicekn and fish) and things seem to have gotten better although there are relapses.

In the meantime, I suppose I will have to deal with it as best as I can and hope it goes away after the baby is born.

Lisa

Eva08 is offline Registered User

Lisa,

I've been having the restless legs problem too - mainly at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. I used to get it very occasionally before I was pregnant too but I've been getting it quite regularly now since I was about 5 months pregnant. It usually lasts about 30 mins/1 hour before I can fall asleep.

I asked my doctor about it before and was told it probably wasn't anything to worry about as long as I could get to sleep eventually. Like you my blood tests don't show any obvious deficiencies.
    Reading on the internet, it seems to be pretty common during pregnancy. I agree it is really annoying though! I suspect in my case, it might be related to changes in blood circulation - I tend to have poor circulation in my legs and feet. Also I notice I seem to have less of a problem with restless legs when I am exercising more - but that might be just due to the fact that I'm more tired when I go to bed!

Sage is offline Registered User

I had really bad restless legs syndrome. I love to read in bed and it was torture while I was pregnant. I didn't suffer from cramps but this just about killed me. I tried stretching and moving my legs when I was sitting still, reading. I don't think there is any cure. Maybe exercising and stretching will help a bit.

lioralourie is offline Registered User

Take magnesium supplement. Calcium and magnesium need to be in a balance and most people get too MUCH calcium and not nearly enough magnesium. Calcium tightens muscles and magnesium is invol ved in fully relaxing voluntary muscles. Also, check not too much iron....Too much Iron can also cause CNS problems.

Liora

Moderator, BOCA
    Beijing Organic Consumers' Association
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/beijing_organic_consumers

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

I had it too. For both my pregnancies and didn't find anything that helped unfortunately.

Sazzy is offline Registered User

I had it too. These are the things that helped.

1. Calcium and Magnesium supplement. (just one tablet a day).
    2. Drinking more water during the day.
    3. Putting a pillow under my knees whilst in bed.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast