Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

late application

carang is offline Registered User

yes, but in your work environment, you are a completely functioning ADULT with the capability to UNDERSTAND the situation.

a 3 year old does NOT have these faculties yet.

i have a student, just turned 4 and his parents INSIST that he learn to read. he knows his phonics and he can read short words and sentences. but the parents continue to buy books for him to read that are light-years from his capability. he then refuses to even try to read the books. i weekly explain to the parents that all they are succeeding in doing is pushing their son AWAY from the enjoyment of reading. it's the PARENTS that don't get it. not the child.

ANY pressure for a 3 year old is TOO much!

carang is offline Registered User

sorry, that sounded more judgemental than it was meant to be...

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

I agree with cara......there is no reason why a three, four or even five year old should be under pressure for any reason.

Yes, at some point our children will need to learn how to survive in high pressure, competitive environments but pressurising a kindergarten age child is just cruel........! Sorry that sounds harsh but it's what I believe.

Rsearch shows, time and time again, that children pushed to do things they hate/ can not do, or pushed into doing things before they are developmentally ready to do it will hold themselves back. It also turns them off learning for life!!

But it all boils down to how we define happiness and success?

As a parent do you believe happiness lies in academic success etc. or does it lie in other things?

I was very academic as a child and teenager and yet it isn't in my academic success that I have found my greatest happiness in life.

I want to be able to provide my children with the best start in life....what parent doesn't? But for me that start means so much more than just the school they attend and the education they recieve......!

I want my children to be happy, confident children who are allowed to develop their own individual talents in their own time......I guess this all sounds a bit idealistic and my son is still very young so I have yet to put my theory to the test, or practice but it is what I believe in and hope to practice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123