Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pregnancy Multivitamins

tet
    tet is offline Registered User

Pregnancy Multivitamins

Hi,
    Are you taking multivitamins (such as Obimin) and when did you start/stop? I am one of those seeing private and public (hospital) doctors. I saw a private doc because my public hospital appointment is not until I'm 12wks. My private doctor said I don't really need vits in the 1st trimester except for folic acid and can start taking vitamins on the 4th month while the public hospital doctor said it's my decision whether to continue or not with the vits since I'm already in my 4th month. Any advise would be much appreciated. Btw, since I started with the vitamins, I'm finding it hard to cope with my appetite. I get really really very hungry every 2 hrs.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tet

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Both times, I took Materna as soon as I found out I was pregnant and kept on taking it until around 4 months after I gave birth (basically finished the bottle). Materna was prescribed by my (private) doctor.

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    I was advised to take Materna + Calcium supplements by the private doctor. The doctor at the public hospital said I did not need to take anything at all (Which I found very weird). I feel Materna + Calcium should/ can be taken through out the pregnancy and 1- 2 months after delivery.

For multivitamins check this link:
    http://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnan...ngsupplements/

For calcium check this link:
    http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_9472.asp

JBash is offline Registered User
    Taking a multi-vitamin is a smart idea anytime. Prenatal mulit-vitamins have additional iron and calcium (two things you need more of during pregnancy). Folic acid is specifically important during the first trimester when the baby's spinal column is enclosing. So, yes, take them but also look at what your eating. Should be a healthy combination of lots of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and complex carbs. Multi-vitamins are insurance for those minerals and nutrients you miss.

reei is offline Registered User
    I am taking Blackmores "Pregnancy & Breastfeeding" vitamins. It's in one big bottle for each trimester. I think it is very important to take prenatal vitamins, coz' I can't make sure I get enough nutritions for every meal.

Clowe is offline Registered User
    i'm with dr. dawkins who is great, and he is not a big believer in multivitamins and the benefits they really provide. i think he feels they are mainly a marketing scam and not really necessary AS LONG AS you eat a balanced healthy diet. i've also read that what you eat is more important as it is absorbed straightaway by your bloodstream. i'm 6+ months pregnant and so far my baby is perfectly healthy. i've not taken any multivitamins at all but i've been very careful about what i eat. the benefits are are twofold: your baby gets all the nutrition he needs AND mommy gets to stay healthy as well. i think had i started to take multi-V's and relied on them, my diet wouldn't have been anywhere near as healthy as it is now and i wouldn't be feeling so great and fit (even in my last trimester!).

so i'm sure multi-v's won't hurt you, but remember that is your diet which matters most of all! whole grains (nothing "white"), lots of veggies, fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc. as un-processed as possible is the way to go!

tet
    tet is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for all your replies, helped me think straight.