Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Reading Program at ESF

courtbas is offline Registered User

Reading Program at ESF

Hello,

I've heard more than enough times that ESF primary school has a very very good reading program that kids go there are very good at reading at very young age and they love doing it. This reputation is very strong, at least among the people I know.

Even more surprising was that I went to a Chinese Language seminar yesterday and they cited the ESF reading program as an example of how language should be taught (they didn't go into details) so that kids came out of it are good at reading and love doing it.

I wonder if any parents here know why and isn't this true in all international schools, and not just ESF? I've only heard this about ESF and not any other schools, although I know quite a mix of international schools parents.

Courtney

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I believe that they use a phono-graphix method for teaching children to read: This helps the child relate the written word with the sounds that each part of the word makes.

If you are interested to learn more about this method, I’d recommend the book Reading Reflex by Carmen McGuinness
    http://www.shopinhk.com/reading-refl...-pr-42821.html
    More information at http://www.readamerica.net/

Another good phono-graphix method is THRASS. This is used at the Canadian International School. More information at http://www.thrass.com.au/

Hi barbwong_130,

Thanks. It's not just about the ability to read but also the way they were able to foster the love of reading. A lot of the ESF kids we know love to read and we also heard similar things from other parents. I'd love to know how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by barbwong_130 View Post
    I believe that they use a phono-graphix method for teaching children to read: This helps the child relate the written word with the sounds that each part of the word makes.

If you are interested to learn more about this method, I’d recommend the book Reading Reflex by Carmen McGuinness
    http://www.shopinhk.com/reading-refl...-pr-42821.html
    More information at http://www.readamerica.net/

Another good phono-graphix method is THRASS. This is used at the Canadian International School. More information at http://www.thrass.com.au/

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Personally I think that the love of reading is related to how easy the child finds it. Reading is wonderful as you can get so much from it but if you are struggling to understand what you read you don’t enjoy it.

Generally a phono-logical approach to reading will help more children read than any other. This is not the same as a phonics approach, which has been very popular for a number of years.

My daughter is learning to read with a phono-logical method and although she has dyslexia and is finding it quite hard she does loves reading and really wants to improve. This is in contrast with her brothers who have the same problem, were taught with the tradition phonics approach and really would be happy never to pick up a book.

Freya is offline Registered User
    Courtbas - I think you will find that the way they do it is to make it really interesting and great fun. The children are taught in a way that makes them really motivated to read, no wrote learning a really understanding of the words. On the whole it's down to the excellent standard of the teachers who are teaching and the good standard of professional development the teachers recieve, they have a whole network to support them in their teaching. Agree they do it very well.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    My kids are a bit older and the ESF school they go to appears to foster love of reading is that they are assigned fun and interesting books and get to borrow fun books from the school library regularly.

Thanks all. My question is don't all international schools place a lot of emphasis on reading early on as well? Why is ESF particularly reputable on this end? I really haven't heard much about other schools (GSIS, HKIS, FIS, CIS)'s reading program as much as I heard about ESF's. Thoughts?

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I have no idea about the schools you asked about. Maybe you can email them or visit their webspages and ask more about it?

As far as I know, ESF doesn't really emphasize reading *early* as much as reading as an activity to be enjoyed throughout life.

At my kids school they have a Book Week; they have a "Dress as Your Favorite Book Character" day; they have book fairs.

They also have a club called "Battle of the Books" where the members read the same books and go to competitions with other schools to see who remembers the most details of different books. I think that is for kids in P5 and above.