Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How many Helper interviews?

mushi is offline Registered User

How many Helper interviews?

Hello,
    I have been interviewing potential full-time helpers since the last one month without any success...the ones whom i short-listed refused with some excuse or the other....is my luck bad or is this normal....please do share yr experiences to help me out...i am getting a baby soon and i am getting nervous now.

Portia is offline Registered User
    When I was pregnant, it took us 4 months to find a decent helper. It was a shock to go from being the most desirable employer (both working, no kids or pets) to being the least desirable (first time parent, newborn)!

I interviewed at least a hundred helpers over the telephone and over a dozen in person. Then the helper I signed a contract with didn't submit the papers to Immigration to process and instead signed with someone else.

Many of the helpers we were interested in had signed with other families by the time we made a decision on them. One thing that I have learned is that you have to be quick and decisive as the helpers make up their minds quickly and often accept the first to give an offer. Once they have accepted, even offering more money will not change their mind.

At first, we tried to get the helpers who seemed good to do a trial session with us as it's hard to judge someone's cooking just by talking to them. But nobody was willing to attend and most had signed with someone else within days.

We were very quick to give an offer to the helper we eventually hired. You should make sure that you have a contract ready to sign when the right helper comes along.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Looking for Helper

We only interviewed three potential helpers. And interviewed two, taking one of those.

I have to admit it was my first hiring a helper although I had employeed people before.

For the big factor was speaking to her current employer. Once we did that we were confident that we had made the right choice.

mushi is offline Registered User
    thanks Portia and vegemite kid.....Portia can they actually do that ? i eman signa contract and not go to immigration at all!! thats scary cause here we would finally put our legs up and relax while there they would signing up with someone else.....how did u find out eventually?

arpana is offline Registered User
    i've had similar experiences - with a family of total 3 members i wonder why we've been rejected so often by the helpers!

rani is offline Administrator
    Hate to say it but a lot of helpers don't want to work for Indian families. Apparently we overwork and underpay them.
    Last edited by rani; 01-31-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Yes, they can sign and not take the contract in to process. I was furious as I'd given her my proof of residential address to submit with her application. She sent me a text message to say that she had changed her mind and gone back to the Philippines. But I know other helpers that know her and they say that she is working for another expat family with a slightly older baby. She could at least have had the decency to return my personal papers. That's what makes me most furious! But ultimately I'm glad I don't employ her as clearly she's not trustworthy.

donkey is offline Registered User
    I think we have arranged over 12 interviews and only half of them turned up. They even didn't bother to text/call to cancel the interview. We ended up hiring one who is the relative of my friend's helpers, who has shown initiatives to work for us. She will not be here before bubs arrives though as we are still waiting for the visa.