Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mixing formula into meals

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    2) if the child has ONLY ever had breast (directly) then later it can sometimes get troublesome introducing a bottle. this could be a problem for you if you plan on re-entering the workforce after baby is born.
    If any of you find your baby is reluctant to take a bottle I have a number of suggestions that might make it easier – please contact me when and if this problem occurs.

But drinking from a bottle isn’t actually necessary – even if you return to work – as babies grow they can learn to take milk in other ways – usually by a cup. By not introducing a bottle you actually cut out one weaning stage. You don’t have to wean the baby from the bottle!

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    Thanks Cara and Sarah
    Whatever you said made a lot of sense to me and I will follow your advice. I would much rather put my baby's health before my convenience.

bobby8 is offline Registered User

Weaning to Sippy Cup?

Hi Sarah,

I'm having problems weaning my 6 month old baby from the breast to anything other than my breasts.

She screams and struggles whenever she sees a bottle come close to her. It doesnt matter who the feeder is, whether I'm in the apartment, and what position she is in eg whether she is sitting faced away from the person feeding her.

I'm wondering if it would be easier to wean her to a sippy cup (without a valve) or cup directly instead? Would you have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this? Is 6 months too young to learn how to use a sippy cup or cup?

Also, would she be able to drink sufficient amounts (~4 oz?) of EBM/formula each mealtime using a sippy cup? Or would she end up just drinking small mouthfuls frequently throughout the day?

I've tried giving her water through a valveless sippy cup. She seems interested (she keeps biting at the spout or licking it) but does not know how to swallow and the water simply dribbles out of her mouth.

I also tried once giving her formula using the sippy cup and she cried the minute she tasted the milk and spit it all out.

I'm not sure what I should try next...what would you suggest I do?

Thanks!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    As your baby seems unhappy to try drinking in other ways have you considered continuing to breastfeed her for her drinks while you introduce solid foods?

As she grows older she will become interested in drinking in other ways – she isn’t going to want the breast for ever. I’m sure you’ll find that by the time she is seven or eight months she’s more ready to drink in these other ways.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

bobby8 is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your help. I cant take much more no-pay leave, so I guess I'll just have to try to increase her solids intake during the day as you've mentioned in an earlier post and breastfeed in the evening and morning. She's only just started with 1-2 tablespoons of solids per day. I'll also try again in a month's time to wean her to a sippy cup and hopefully that'll go better then.

AG2007 is offline Registered User
    Hi Bobby
    I'm having the exact same problem as you. My daughter is 8 mths old and I've recently returned to work 2 days a week. She refuses to take any formula during the day time and therefore has bigger feeds whenever I'm around to feed her. Only drawback is that I feel she is waking up twice a night really hungry (as she doesn't get much milk during the day time). I've already increased her solids but situation still the same. Don't forget that during the first year milk is still the most important!!! Good luck! It's hard but at least we know that this too shall pass. Hang in there!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12