Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Feedback After Rejection?

spockey is offline Registered User
    Totally agree with Shri. Schools should be made more accountable.
    In the public schools if there is an interview, we need to complete forms and if a parent asks for reflection, we need to be accountable for the going-ons in an interview and be able to provide feedback.

If accountability exists in a public school, where education is free and teachers are paid less, why not in a private school? I'm beginning to see International School teachers and managers in a very different light - many are outdated and out of touch with the realities and expectations of education.

Having said that though, the school where we've placed our son - only a month into the school year and the reflection and HONESTY has been EXCELLENT! He has a teacher and accompanying teacher assistants that i think are TOTALLY AWESOME though. I wish more teachers were like his.

carang is offline Registered User
    i guess, you guys are right. it's just that as someone who deals a lot with parents, it can be very difficult to have honest discussions with SOME parents. there are some out there that will not accept any constructive criticisms, especially where their child is concerned.

besides with the numbers of applications that some schools receive, it may not be a matter of what is 'wrong' with your child or what your child can improve on, but just a matter that other children were 'better'.

PLEASE do not interpret this the wrong way. it's just an idea that crossed my mind. as i said before, i TOTALLY disagree with interviews of any kind for pre-schoolers.

shri is offline Administrator
    >> but just a matter that other children were 'better'.

Plenty of schools do this and they do it without a problem. They have standardized tests and only students that pass the levels for that year get called for interviews.

I have no problems with elitism ... it just needs to be documented and made clear before the admissions process so that parents don't waste their time if they feel that they or their kids are not suitable for that school.

Just wait till Eton or Harrow (which ever of the two is opening up) send out rejection slips all across town...

shri is offline Administrator
    carang - no problems with interviews. You cant just let anyone in .. (and I mean this seriously). There are some kids that need more help and some kids that might just not be suitable for the school - for various reasons. One kid with behavioral problems could mess the whole class up.

I think an interview for most of the schools is a session in a play room or class room type environment.

Ideally the interview would highlight any issues with behavior etc and the parents can then work to address those issues.

carang is offline Registered User
    the reasons that i don't like interviews, especially for PRE-schoolers is:
    1) often these kids are 2 and under... some 2 year olds can't/don't talk yet
    2) children of this age can often have a bad day. that doesn't mean they will be a menace to the class
    3) often it takes children this age a while to warm up and open up (how to tell from 10 minutes in a playroom?)

i have had some "problem" students. only one have i actually had to speak with the parents and suggest that they withdraw. as you said, this one student continually caused problems in the class. we all tried to address the issue as best we could with no improvement on the child's part. needless to say, it came down to "do i lose one student or the entire class?" the choice was obvious.

however, i have had other students that take up to a month to warm up. often these students end up being the most fun, outgoing and the ones who participate the most. if i had judged them from the impression that they made in their first class, it would have been MY loss. i would not have had the pleasure of getting to know the kids, and helping them overcome their fears.

as i said before, SOME parents cannot deal with problems regarding their child. SOME parents cannot admit that their beloved child MAY have a few issues that need to be dealt with.

just to be clear, my posts are meant for PRE-schoolers... NOT for primary or secondary placements. i have no problem with interviews for those levels.... PRE-schoolers (18 months-3 years) i DO have a problem with.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    When you go for an interview do you have to provide parents income level, type of job, other social information about your family, or is it strictly all about your child?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12