Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Feedback After Rejection?

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Feedback After Rejection?

Would you seek a feedback for constructive criticism if your child was not accepted in the school you applied for?

I recently applied my son for kindergarden class to a school we visited, however, after two interviews he was rejected. I am fine with the rejection since I figure the experience of the whole process can't hurt for future Primary 1 interviews.

So I called the school and spoke to the director of admissions, and inquired if I could ask for some feedback so that my son can do better for next year's interview for primary school. I was shocked by her response that I apparently asked a "very weird question" and that the school was not there to "improve your son's skills/chances for interviews" and "we really do not interview, but want to see if your son would fit our school"

Keeping in mind that I was not & am not appealing their decision to decline admissions, but really to find out what criteria they are looking at, and how I can better prepare my son the next time around.

Was I out of line to ask for feedback? Am I "weird" to want to find out why he was rejected?

Comments Appreciated.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I don't think you were *weird* to ask for feedback, just maybe a bit naive to think they would respond.

One kindie my kids applied to - had about 80 spaces and over 1,000 applicants.

With numbers like that (and I bet lots of schools have them) they probably don't even remember the slightest thing about the kids they reject. Let alone wanting to bother to tell the parents what didn't impress them about their kids.

When my son and daughter were rejected by our 1st choice local schools, part of me did want to ask "so, what was wrong with them? You should be so lucky to have my brilliant children with their delightful personalities apply!" - but I never did, because if they rejected them - the school has no motivation to try and please or help me (the parent).

It's a sellers market for the Big Name Schools.

Geo
    Geo is offline Registered User
    I agree with Loupou. With the huge amount of applicants to limited space and limited interview time, I doubt they can remember every rejection.

However, I think a fair question to the school is what criteria are they looking for? Or how can they determine if a kid would fit the school. However, it is very difficult to get these out from them after the interviews. As they may be afraid of challenges from parents. It is best to ask them before the interview.

Other than that, if we could be in the interviews, then we have to take ourselves out and look at our kid during the interview asking yourself "Would I take in this kid based on his performance?" based on a unbiased observation. Then you maybe able to answer your own question why was he rejected.

Other than that....there is no immediate solution to a widely sought after question.

michelef is offline Registered User
    Wow... sounds like you are lucky your son didn't get accepted to that school! I wouldn't want my children to go to one who are looking for "kids to fit into THEIR school"! All kids at young age could fit into any schools.. at least that's what I thought...

Good luck in future school searching!

carang is offline Registered User
    although an old thread, i don't think that there is ANY school in hk that would give you feedback. they could be allowing themselves in for a LOT of trouble.

first off, if every parent asked the same question, can you imagine the time it would take? some schools have thousands of applicants and only a handful of spaces. not only that, but the person that did the actual interview would have to be the one to inform you and you would be expecting them to remember your child out of possibly thousands.

although i sympathise with you, i think it is an unrealistic request. sorry

shri is offline Administrator
    >> you would be expecting them to remember your child out of possibly thousands.

Cara - Interviews should be documented. No one needs to remember the actual interview if the process involves documenting why the kid was rejected. A couple of lines are good enough.

Extra work - 2 mins.

If the interview is structured (i.e. every student is asked the same questions and in the same format) it should be fairly easy to refer back to the interview sheets and point out why the student was rejected.

In my opinion, given the costs of education and what is at stake - the kids future, I do think parents have the right to know why their children were rejected, at the very minimum to attempt and correct any areas which might affect the kids negatively at other interviews too.

So, I do not think it is altogether unrealistic at all to inquire why the child was rejected.

And at the same time, the schools need to develop a set of cajones and tell parents that their child or the parents background is not suitable for non-academic reasons .... you're not rich enough, you don't own enough factories etc etc.

Bring back this thing called honesty into the system -- you know, the thing we teach all our kids about.

carang is offline Registered User
    i do agree that they should be documented.

as a matter of fact, i think that interviewing a pre-schooler is absolutely ridiculous in the first place.
    filifele likes this.

shri is offline Administrator
    >> i think that interviewing a pre-schooler is absolutely ridiculous in the first place

Well, you cant let the riff-raff in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast