Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Personal experience with Waldorf Education

momofthree is offline Registered User

Smile Personal experience with Waldorf Education

I would love to hear of any experiences and feedback for Waldorf education-both good and bad.

I am very disillusioned by the pushing of academics on young kids here in Hong Kong and now that we are leaving I am looking into the options of alternative education for my kids.

Anyone got some pearls of wisdom to share?

joannek is offline Registered User
    i am a big fan of waldorf education. my daughter started at highgate house (a waldorf school) when she was one yr old. (mother/toddler group), and will be 3 next week. she loves it there, had a generally easier transition to nursery last sept. very loving, caring & attentive teachers. homey environment. search on geobaby forum on my recommendation on the book "you are your child's first teacher" (a waldorf book).

my daughter can now paint water color properly, knead bread, oil muffin molds, help clean up, tidy up her toys, say good bye willingly, cut carrots, etc, and she's not even 3 yet. today we celebrated her bday early. after we sang the bday song, she blew the candle by herself. i held her hand on the big cake knife to cut the cake. but before we started cutting, she used her left hand to remove the candle before cutting the cake. when we baptised her last month, there was a candle at the ceremony, i helped her hold it by herself, cos i know she knows how to handle it without hurting herself.

at waldorf, they learn how to do normal daily things instead of math & spelling & writing. so it depends what your family finds important for a small child. some favor academics, but i like that she knows how to take care of herself, & be confident & happy.

GeoDerek is offline Registered User

Waldorf Education

We've just published an interview with Cannie Bennett, founder of Garden House and chair of Hong Kong’s Waldorf Association, where we discuss Waldorf options in Hong Kong, as well as what an average day is like for a Garden House student.

If you're curious about Waldorf schooling this is a great starting point.

If you already have experience with the Waldorf system, whether it be as a parent, a former student, or an educator, don't hesitate to share with our community.
    Last edited by GeoDerek; 08-02-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Julie Anne Lam is offline Registered User
    The following information is for parents and teachers who may be reading the recent interview with Cannie (not Carrie) Bennett from Garden House. The information printed from the interview with Cannie Bennett is incorrect. Highgate House founder, and qualified Waldorf teacher, Julie Lam pioneered Waldorf Education in HK in 2001 in the school that was begun in 1992, when Cannie Bennett was not an active partner. Highgate House is the first and only accredited Waldorf School in HK at present. It has an open door policy and will be offering placements for the practical experience necessary to complete Waldorf teacher training. Highgate House also represents Waldorf Education in Asia.

GeoDerek is offline Registered User
    Thank you for the input Julie Anne Lam. The mistake has been amended.

We'll follow up and make changes as appropriate.

I'm sure the GeoBaby community would love to hear more about Highgate House and the education options offered there.

It may also be of interest to users to know there is a Steiner-inspired school located in Lamma Island called Banyan House.
    Last edited by GeoDerek; 08-02-2012 at 09:42 AM.

chrcheu is offline Registered User
    I am a big fan of wadolf education too. My son joined highgate since he was 1, now that he is turning 2, i very much want him to stay in Highgate, but some parents said it is just too easy for the kids, and i am kinda affected by these comments and the general environmrnt in hk education system... I sent my son to a local kindy, but he just doesnt seem happy there, so different from when he was in highgate...

Viviangugu is offline Registered User

Waldorf and Anthroposophy

I have recently realised that the Waldorf system is intrinsically intertwined with the teachings of Anthroposophy (google it), a cult/religion/faith created and practised by Steiner himself. I wonder why you article failed to mention this connection?

The problem I have with Waldorf schools is that they refrain from explicitly informing parents of their connection with Anthroposophy and parents are simply too eager to send their children to a school where kids are not pushed to become result-driven little machines. However, once you dig down into what Steiner himself believes, the school, amongst other applications of Anthroposophy, is infused with Anthroposophic teachings and undertones, with the very aim of spreading this 'religion'. In other words, innocent minds are being 'prepared' for what is to come in the future when they are ready (Steiner talks a lot about readiness in his guidance to Waldorf teachers).

Parents should be given open and honest information about the school and the school should be frank about its ethos and aims. people are indeed free to choose but the way how Waldorf schools operate rid parents off from being due informed before making choices. Again, Waldorf can be a Godsend to some but a brainwash system to others.

Read up and make an informed choice!