Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anyone had a c section at queen mary?

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    cheung chau
    Hmm, so given a choice between the best medical care for your baby (which QM provides - if there are any probs then the Matilda will send you straight to QM anyway) or a nice looking scar, the scar is more important?

momofthree is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Ofcourse it there was any indication of complication I would have gone to QM,but given that it was not my first and I had had no complications with the first two pregancies and the 3rd pregnancy had progressed smoothly,I chose to have both good medical care and a nice looking scar.I know if your baby needs the NICU then QM is the place,but its not like you're getting substandard medical care choosing the Matilda.

In the country I had my first two the best NICU was at the private hospital and thats where your baby would go if needed,but by the same token the medical care at the public hospital was still good.

You cant forsee how the delivery will unfold but I think most of them,especailly a scheduled C-section are going to go smoothly.

glammi is offline Registered User
    Hang Hau
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    The doctors are good. The nurses are a mixed bag - some are wonderful, some are just downright rude and unprofessional.
    If you go public, you need to take EVERYTHING with you - pads, nappies, mattress pads etc. When they lost my bag of mattress pads they yelled at me.
    But, medically, it's the safest place to be - especially for babies born early.
    Hi HappyV,

You said that Queen Mary is the safest place medically for babies born early, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more if you can because there's a high chance that I'll have a premature birth and I'd like to go to a hospital that has a good reputation for taking care of premature babies. I haven't registered at Queen Mary but I'm thinking about it.

Many thanks!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    Hi- if you go into labour before 34/ 35 weeks gestation you have to go to a public hospital, of which Queen Mary is one.

I was told this is because most babies born prematurely require Level 3 neonatal care- the only hospitals in HK with this Level 3 care is the government hospitals.

If your baby is born prematurely then the very best place to be is a government hospital, and it is in fact the only place you can be.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I think Matilda has upgraded thier NICU/SCU to take babies born at 34 weeks, but will still send serious cases straight down to QM. (Information as of mid 2007)
    I have been told by doctors who work there, and other private practice medical professionals than QM regularly publishes internationally recognised data on the care of premmies, and is considered to be the best premmie care in SE Asia. (Information as of early 2008).
    Their medical and surgical care is probablyas good as anywhere in Aus/UK/USA - but their personal care is not great. Be prepared for communcation issues, a lack of personal care from the nurses, and lack of access for your husband. But a lot of us have been there,and will go back if there's a #2 (or #3 or #4 etc etc).
    If you have any specific questions, PM me.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Clear Water Bay
    I had a c-section at QM nearly 2 years ago. I agree with all the comments about the lack of bed side manner but wanted to add my scar is very nice looking!

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I had an emergency c-sec at QM in September and am pregnant with my second one and will only stay with the public system - I was in and out of the hospital in 49 hours.

As for knowing the Dr. cutting you open - they do more births at the public hospitals so I trust they are more prepared for emergencies.

Anyways, it's a personal decision, but anyone who asks me I tell them QM was great.

I am just afraid of the private hospitals after hearing of a woman who died earlier this year during childbirth - but I guess it could happen anywhere - public or private. I just think QM is better ready for emergencies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12