Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Moving from UK to HK

kthomson is offline Registered User

Moving from UK to HK

I am moving out to HK with my husband and 10 month old baby in a few weeks time. I have a few questions that I hoped could be answered.

I am currently feeding him Aptamil formula and wondered if I can buy this out in HK?

Are there any items that I should consider bringing that I might not be able to get out in HK? I guess it will be hard to get things like weetabix & porridge?

We are also unsure of where to live. I really like taking my son to swimming lessons, music classes, etc and also like being able to easily catch up with friends for coffee. Our initial thoughts were to live somewhere like Stanley or Repulse Bay but our relocation consultant has recomended Bamboo Grove which I beleive is mid-levels east. She recommended this area as she thinks there will be alot of other mothers with young babies? We have only spent a day looking around HK so have no idea which area will be most suitable for us. Is it difficult to get around with a pram there?

Finally, what will the weather be like late feb/early march as I don't know what sort of clothes my baby will need?

Sorry, so many questions!!!!!

Thanks,
    Kathryn

Speculator is offline Registered User

Aptamil is not avaliable in HK, might be a good idea to take a few cartons to HK because formula milk is relatively expensive in HK.

Weetabix and porridge are avaliable in the two main HK supermarkets, Park n Shop and Wellcome along with many other well known UK brands. Also, Park n Shop have some sort of relationship with Waitrose and they stock numerous Waitrose branded products!

Here's a link to Wellcome supermarket http://www.wellcome.com.hk/jsp/sys/S...&hs_resol=1024

and here's a link to Park n Shop.

http://www1.parknshop.com/WebShop/Home.do

Last edited by Speculator; 02-04-2008 at 08:55 AM.

shri is offline Administrator

Parknshop is no longer stocking Waitrose. Saw a sign at our local store a few months ago.

joannek is offline Registered User

bamboo grove is very convenient, but air quality is not as good, as it is in the middle of town. there are also a lot of westerner families with small children. i heard they have a nice clubhouse , but that you'd have to confirm with your agent. 5-10 mins drive to most areas on HK Island.
    Repulse bay & stanley have nicer living environment, quiet & better air, but farther away from town (like 20-30mins by car) there are also public transport, taxi (abundant & rather not expensive compare to UK), buses & mini-buses to & from Stanley & Repulse Bay. however, it is more expensive.

we are currently having a cold front (havn't been for the past 10 yrs), it's been 10-15 degrees C. at the end of Feb/early march it should be warmer, usually between 15-20C. by March/april, spring'd be here & it's be 18-22C. very humid & foggy. mind you, we don't have central heating & indoors (malls & restaurants) the air-cons are year round on full blasts (like 15-17C). always bring cotton long-sleeve cardigans & cotton blankets for little ones & also a long sleeve light cardi for yourself even if it's peak summer in HK (like 30-35C)

joannek is offline Registered User

oh & welcome & hope you like our city. =)

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Our PNS still stocks waitrose food!

snagito is offline Registered User

ours PNS still stocks waitrose too! even the pizzas and thank goodness, specially the coffee (if you like your coffee bring lots as it's better quality and less expensive in london).. don't worry about bringing weetabix/porridge - plenty to be bought here and i made that mistake in shipping loads out from london.. and now have extra stocks which i'm offering free to people as my dear son has lost interest in both!! as for bamboo grove i think it's okay but most buildings will have mums/babies to hang out with - and the western side (Pok Fu Lam) has worked very well for us -- lovely walks with prams too so i'd recommend you look a bit further than bamboo grove. hope that helps!

jools is offline Registered User

Once Chinese New Year is over the weather will start to warm up. It won't be baking hot, at the time you are coming but hopefully warmer-certainly warmer than the UK at this time. I would go for cotton layers, so you can dress them up or down depending on how warm it is. I agree you can buy lots of things here, but when I first came out from the UK I needed to spend some time orientating myself and my 18 month old, and clothes shopping wasn't high on my list of things I needed to do. You will also find that outside of the markets, clothes can be quite expensive and there is certainly nothing to match places like Tescos for kids clothes.

Prams can be difficult, especially in Central. I would recommend an umbrella style push chair or at least a light one-another option is a sling, then you don't have to worry about all those steps. Once you've been here for a while you might want to visit somewhere like Sogo (a department store in Causeway Bay) to check out the lighter pushchairs they sell out here.

You may also want to think about Discovery Bay as an option for a place to live; great for kids and loads of families here. Just be aware of the relocation experts, as they tend to think that Westerners want to live in the mid levels, because of its central location, I know ours did and despite explaining to him that I have a fear of heights, he kept wanting to show us apartments on the 30th floor.

Good luck with the move. Hong Kong is a fantastic place to live. I have never regretted our move from the UK and would have to be dragged back kicking and screaming, if ever at all.

Jools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast