Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Commuting from Sai Kung to Wanchai?

Rocketdog is offline Registered User

Commuting from Sai Kung to Wanchai?

How long would it take to commute from Sai Kung to Wanchai?

Planning to move to Hong Kong in May. I love the idea of living in a house in the Sai Kung area, with beautiful nature on the doorstep...but I am wondering if this is a realistic idea if I am commuting daily to Hong Kong.

Wondering how long the combination of bus+MTR would take.
    Also, how much a taxi would cost, and how long it would take? And how bad is rush-hour traffic?

We have a two and a half year old child. Are there are any decent international pre-schools or schools out there?

carang is offline Registered User
    it would take roughly 15-20 minutes from sai kung to hang hau mtr station, then less than 30 minutes to wan chai. i have a student in wanchai and i made it....into the mtr, onto the wrong platform, then waited 4 minutes for a train, realised i was on the wrong platform, back up and down to the correct platform, waited for another train, to wanchai, out of station and a 10 minute walk to my student's home in 30 minutes. (i was moving as fast as i could though).

a taxi wouldn't be any faster, especially in rush hour. it would probably take you longer. traffic builds up at the east tunnel and also into causeway bay wanchai. it would probably set you back $200 at least, non-rush hour. probably at least $250 rush hour.

i live in the country park, so another 20 minutes further than sai kung town. i drive 99.9% of the time. i head to wanchai/causeway bay virtually everyday. i make a point of only going during rush hour when it is absolutely necessary as it can add 30 minutes to the journey.

Speculator is offline Registered User
    Take the 101M minibus to Hang Hau MTR. Approximately, one leaves every 2 mins from Sai Kung Town Centre.

BLC
    BLC is offline Registered User
    Not sure of the frequency but there is a red minibus that goes to/from Sai Kung to Wanchai.

carang is offline Registered User
    that only runs after 6pm, if memory serves me correctly.