Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Vacation in New York

jxoxo is offline Registered User

Vacation in New York

We are planning on a vacation in New York. Our baby will be 9 months old by that time. Do you know what we need to bring in terms of gears? We will bring our stroller for sure. How about car seat, car seat base and any other suggestion on what to bring? We don't intend to rent a car but commute by taxi or subway. Please advise. Thanks.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    I am betting you will have to have a car seat to ride a NYC taxi. Can't imagine there is a taxi loophole in the US car seat laws.
    We find it is easier to carry a baby on crowded city streets than to push a baby. We use our Maya wrap everywhere and our strollers rarely.

nubymom is offline Registered User
    i think it is illegal to not have the car seat while riding on taxis/cars, etc.; and the car seat base as well.. u should as well bring the weather shield since it's still winter time.

wenyihsu is offline Registered User
    Taxis / hired cars are actually exempt from the car seat rule for babies. We travelled to SF and NYC last September with our baby so I looked into it specifically. We bought along our baby carrier and stroller and it was good enough.

wenyihsu is offline Registered User
    Here's the link to the NYC TLC site that addresses your question -
    http://home2.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/p...q_pass.shtml#9

Sushma is offline Registered User

vacation in nyc

hey, we just moved from nyc to hk so can suggest a few things. no need for a car seat. take a light stroller and definitely take a carrier of some sort, sling or ergo baby or baby bjorn. if you don't have one then just buy it there. take lots of warm clothes and again if you don't have it then just but it there. if you need suggestions as to where to buy it from send me a pm.
    you will get all kinds of formula, baby food, diapers, wipes and all essentials in every cvs/duane reade so don't worry about that. if you have any other specific questions you are welcome to ask. it is quite cold there so be prepared.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by wenyihsu View Post
    Taxis / hired cars are actually exempt from the car seat rule for babies. We travelled to SF and NYC last September with our baby so I looked into it specifically. We bought along our baby carrier and stroller and it was good enough.
    Wow! And given he way taxis drive there must have been some serious lobbying going on.
    So, a parent has to have a car seat at all times and a taxi never has to jhave one. Who do you think would be the more careful driver with a baby on board?