Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dogs in Discovery Bay

mmdeibert is offline Registered User

Dogs in Discovery Bay

Hi. I am going to be moving to HK in April, most likely DB and I want to know if there are certain apartment complexes that don't allow pets. We have a large yellow lab/retriever that we will be bringing with us and from what I have seen DB is very pet friendly but I am wondering if pets are allowed in all residences.

Also, I have two children 3 1/2 and almost 2 and I am curious of people's opinion on the most child friendly place to live in HK. My husband will be working in central and I will be home with the kids so I really want to find a place where I can meet other stay at home parents and have play groups etc. From what I have seen DB seems very family freindly.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User

we lived in db for over 6 years and loved it. it is VERY dog friendly. all villages allow dogs, but it is up to the individual landlords whether they want dogs in their flats/houses. we have 2 kids and 2 dogs, plus we board dogs. we never had a problem in db finding a place to live.

db is VERY child friendly and convenient to central. you never have to worry about traffic as the ferry runs almost like clockwork.

every village has a playground, so it's easy to meet the neighbourhood kids. there are also a large number of playgroups, so keeping the kids occupied is also easy. the playgroups are available in cantonese, mandarin, japanese, german, french, and of course, english. i'm sure there are more languages, i just can't remember them all.

if you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.
    (we are now located in sai kung, db just got too expensive for us. but we miss it!)

Carang....
    Thank you for you reply. That is great information!

Have a great day

HappyV is offline Registered User

Second everything Carang said.
    You should also be aware that whilst DB is dog friendly, there have been a lot of dog bites recently, and complaints to police about dogs being unleashed. The Agriculture and Fisheries service recently put signs up all over DB to remind residents that dogs over 20kg should be leashed in public places. There are a lot of walks up the hills etc that your dog can do without a leash, but you probably need to be aware before you move here that the dog will need to be on a leash a lot of the time.

stanley is offline Registered User

We are also considering moving to DB. The main issue that concerns us is schooling. There are two international schools in DB. ESF, which is hopeless to get in and DBIS which requires you to come up with a non refundable debenture of HKD 300,000.

carang is offline Registered User

welcome to hk. most international schools require a debenture. esf, not technically an international school, does not.

there are hundreds of kids in db that take the ferry in the morning and then their respective school buses pick them up in central at the ferry pier. your children could actually go to almost any international school and be able to get there relatively easily and with all of their friends.

most debentures are for the duration of schooling. once the child has finished at the school you get your debenture back. there is no interest earned on it. you are effectively lending the school your money at no interest until your child finishes there.

Thanks for the message regarding the dog bites and needing them to be leashed. We are used to having our dog on a leash so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

I have another question:
    Does anyone know the amount of time, if any, that a dog is required to be quarantined when arriving in Hong Kong from the USA? Our dog is a 4 yr old, 80 lb yellow lab/golden retriever mix.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast