Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pumpers (for breastmillk)

Clowe is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much, ladies - this is all so helpful (and consistent!!). I plan to take off work for at least 6 months to stay at home with our first baby, but thereafter I may be pumping more furiously so I do agree the electric (medela) one sounds to be a good investment.

We're planning to follow the Gina Ford method with newborns (because a few friends here with babies have been singing her praises) which says that one feeding per night (even while exclusively breastfeeding) should be on the bottle. According to her theory, I think, this makes it easier later in life for baby to transition/adjust to a bottle and it also gives Dad a chance to bond with the baby through the bottle (not to mention gives Mom at least one break per night). We're going to try to follow her book (The Contented Little Baby Book, I think it's called) and see how it goes...

Thanks again gals for all your advice!

carang is offline Registered User
    please remember though, you baby has NOT read her book. it is JUST a guide. you will make yoursefl crazy if you try to follow it to the letter!

good luck and enjoy your baby!

rani is offline Administrator
    Clowe,

Also have a read of Yvonne's article on Baby Routines and Mother's Instinct. It covers the Contented Baby Book

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby/baby-routines/
    http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby...al-instincts?/
    Last edited by rani; 02-12-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks, Rani! Glad to know there are other positive testimonials on Gina Ford. As first time parents, we do need some kind of a guideline to follow as least as a general framework and it helps that friends have really gotten a lot out of her books...

Thanks again for those articles.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    This might be surprising as it's contrary to all the responses thus far but I have both the Medela double pump electric as well as the Avent isis out and about manual breastpump and hands down I'd recommend the Avent. The kit is around the $600 mark and has been brilliant so far. I work from home, but it has been a godsend whenever I needed to be out for a meeting. The medela electric felt unnatural and was very awkward whenever I tried to pump with baby on breast. It was also a nuisance to set up early in the morning to relieve engorged breasts and would put me off pumping a lot of the time. I found that I pumped faster and a lot more comfortably with the Avent because I could control the suckling rhythm as well as the massage let down cushion actually works and I'm not one to fall for such gimmicks. The entire kit is well stocked out and it's super convenient if you use Avent bottles as it pumps right into them. I've even used it in the cinema very discreetly under a long overcoat when away from the little one on a date with the husband. The insulated carry case and ice packs works very well to keep the milk fresh. Plus, it's really easy to clean.

Here's a link http://www.avent.com/uk/en/travel_pr..._about_set.php

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Nashua852! What you've said makes a lot of sense and I have to admit the whole "electric" pump idea kinda scared me a bit, which is why I thought to ask around... I guess it's all very personal and individual so I just might have to try both types out before deciding what suits me best.

nyonya35 is offline Registered User
    Hi Clowe,

I have used both Medela double electric and Avent Isis and have managed to breastfeed my first baby without any formula to 20 months (I went to work 3 weeks after baby was born). I initially found Medela electric much better and easier to use since I had tons of milk and it would take me ages to do it with manual and my hand would get sore from pressing. I also found that for the full day of work I would have to pump 3 times with manual, or only 2 times with electric (by quantity of needed milk).
    Later on when baby started to eat solid foods, I found I do not need so much milk, and actually electric also started to feel somewhat uncomfortable, so I switched at some point to manual.
    If you are looking for a manual one, Avent Isis is a good. I had two more manual pumps as (unneeded) presents and found them to be terrible.

Thank you Nyonya... sounds like maybe I should wait til after baby is here to see how much I am able to pump to begin with! Would be depressing for me if I went a bought a really flashy electric one only to find my breasts are not "working" the way I want them to. Hmmmm... all these comments have been so useful. Thanks a lot everyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top