Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prince of wales hospital

Matty is offline Registered User

Prince of wales hospital

I'd love to hear of anyone's experience giving birth at PWH.
    Can't seem to find anyone who's actually delivered there.
    What was the level of english like?
    Are they used to dealing with westerners?

I delivered my first child at Queen Mary in 2006, and it was a great experience. So I'm a bit nervous about switching to a different public hospital.

We will be living in Sai Kung when I'm due, so trying to decided whether to register at QMH before we move, or PWH at our new address.

jaykay is offline Registered User
    PWH is a good hospital and is known for it's maternity care. My wife gave birth there last year and no problems at all. They all speak good English and as there is quite a large expat population nearby they are very used to dealing with westerners.

samali is offline Registered User
    Last year i had an emergency c-section in PWH.And it was a good experience.They all speak english.but they send me home like on 3rd day as i hardly walk by then..coz at that time too many mainland women come to gave birth there,and they need more beds now it says they are less then before.best wishes for your delivery.

jaykay is offline Registered User
    Well once they changed the rules last year the amount of mainland women dropped like a stone and most were using Union Hospital which resembles little Shenzhen.

When my wife was in there were many spare beds which was great as she could get some sleep after birth.

rani is offline Administrator
    My aunt was in/out of POW a few years ago. It's a teaching hospital similar to QM and the nurses speak excellent English. Have you read this birth story

http://www.geobaby.com/directory/hea...birth/details/

mosmom is offline Registered User
    matty, i gave birth there last july - and i would give birth at the POW any time again!
    while in labour, they even asked me if i had a birth plan! i didn't, as i thought it would be pointless to come up with one in a govt. hospital...
    delivery rooms are excellent, in that they're modern and spacious, and you can labour there 'in peace' ;)
    only thing is they didn't put baby on my chest right after birth. i was lying there as they cleaned her up, weighed her, etc. and put her into an incubator. next time, i would definitely insist on my baby be put on my chest and start suckling!
    the nursing staff is friendly and their english skills are on a high level. bf advice is good. however, the (sorry for the term) 'see lies' that change your bedsheets, bring formula for your baby, help you to go to the wc etc.. can't speak english. and i needed these women's help more than the nurses'!
    the food... well, i'm sure you know from your first experience; no expectations there.
    i was also released after 3 days, but i was asked if that was okay with me!
    actually, i still owe them a thank you card!
    all the best.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for your replies, it's put my mind at rest.
    Sounds just like QMH.

Mosmom, I did a birth plan at QMH and was suprised that they really respected my wishes, and did everything exactly as I wanted, including laying the baby on my chest immediatley.

From what I've heard lately, the Govt. hospitals are more respectful of your wishes than some private ones!

mosmom is offline Registered User
    i can't speak for the private hospitals, though you might be right (e.g. you need to go to the nursing room in a private hsp. to nurse your child, whereas in a govt. hsp. your baby is roomed in if you wish).
    all i wanted was to give birth safely to my child and that we would be well taken care of afterwards. and that was the case!
    if you don't ask for a hotel-like setting and don't necessarily need pampering, then you'll be just fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast