Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Too late for school in September 2008?

carang is offline Registered User
    I think that there is also the American International School in Kowloon. I may be wrong on that though.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    I think that there is also the American International School in Kowloon. I may be wrong on that though.
    Yes, that's the one in Kowloon Tong.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyB View Post
    I believe fee is misinformed... kindergarten starts from 2y 8mo to 3y 8m, so your daughter will be the right age to start K2 which is the second year of kindergarten. That is probably much easier to get into than K1 because some of the older kids will have left for international school reception classes.

Also, most KGs have both morning and afternoon classes and the afternoon classes are much less popular so it's easy to get into those if your daughter is not still having a nap.

It's the following year you might want to give some thought to, in choosing where to live. I think your daughter would be starting primary school in Sept 09 in most of the international schools (local schools are a year later). In Discovery Bay where I live, there are two primary schools and it's hard to get into both of them. For DBIS, you need to have been on the waiting list since birth, and for Discovery College you can apply the previous September but there are very few places versus the number of applicants.

But it's not easy to get most of the other primary schools in HK, so you need to research what each school's admission policy is. If you are only staying for a couple of years then she can always stay in KG up to K3 which would be until July 2010.
    Thanks, that's my fear for Discovery Bay ... since it's hard to find an alternative because it's an island. Kowloon Tong / Hung Hom would give me more options (possibly with a school bus). My understanding is also that she could start K2 in case schools offer that. I don't expect us to stay much longer than 2-3 years, and we may try to get into Canada afterwards (applying for permanent residency while we're in HK), so I am also looking at those schools. I don't really have to look super long term. And she doesn't nap anymore either, although I would prefer a longer day like she had in the States. Thanks for the info.

carang is offline Registered User
    there are literally hundreds of kids that commute to hk island every day. the ferry is 25 minutes and the school bus meets the kids right at the ferry pier. many mums share the ferry duty so you don't have to accompany your child each and every day.

not sure how many of the kids are kindergarteners though.

eflats is offline Registered User
    we just moved and I didn't realize that we would have missed the application process for kindergarten. my daughter will be 3 in august and i'm not sure i want to enroll (even if I could find somewhere she'd get into). But i'm afraid if I wait to apply for next year when she's 4 there will be no space available. is there risk in waiting until she's 4?

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Mum2Sofie, there is a kindie in DB (Sunshine House) that does extended days. I think you can choose 2, 3 or 5 days for extended hours. It also has a connected primary school in Tung Chung (Canadian curriculum) which is only 20mins away by bus. Try googling them. If you're not thinking long term education in Hong Kong, I think you will enjoy yourself a lot more living in DB than in Kowloon Tong!

eflats, if you read my previous post there is some info in there that will put your mind at ease.

Thanks Jenny!

I already feel better. She's now signed up at Woodlands (Pokfulam) where they still had space in the extended program and at Sunshine in Pokfulam (short waitlist for extended but hopefull).

I don't think we'll end up in Kowloon Tong, although AIS had space in EC2 for her.

Discovery Mind and Sunshine DB both had space in the pm programs, but 3 hours is nothing for a 4 yo in my opinion, she already did resp 2 and 3 full days in the States. But Sunshine did have extended day if I would sign the twins up for a morning session (parent) as well ... which I actually wanted, so that seems pretty good.

I'll check out that other school too, maybe for next year!

Thanks again!

alibali is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    If you do end up moving to HK, feel free to get in touch. My daughter is 14 mths old and she is also dutch/ american. I've lived here in HK for about 5 years, so I might have some info to get you up to speed in HK. I am currently going through the process of applying to preschools and primary schools for my daughter. I don't know how long you will stay in HK, but there are already waiting lists for primary school in the year that my 14 mth old will enter. One schools nearby is already overbooked for that year by 25 kids! However, I know of people who suddenly move here and do get a spot at the school of their choice. Good luck with your move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12