Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hospital Dilemma.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hospital Dilemma.

I am 17 wks pregnant with baby no. 2. Our first born was born at the Matilda....before the hospitals were overcrowded and I had no problem getting a bed.

This time around I went to my obstertrican at 6wks, partly in order to book a hospital bed in time. But even that early the Matilda was already full for my due date.

I have confirmed beds at the Canossa and Sanatorium but am not keen on either.

At the Matilda my baby was with me whenever I wanted and the support I recieved for breastfeeding was excellent.

I know for a fact that at the Canossa and Sanatorium thy make you go to the nursery if you want to see and breastfeed your baby...and the thought of having to do that is stressing me out....I refuse to abide by so such stupid rules....and plan to make a huge fuss when there! It will be a nightmare for everyone, I just know!

Anyone been on the waiting list for the Matilda and managed to get a bed closer to their due date?

Anyone delivered at Canossa/ Sanatorium? Anyone get around their stupid baby in the nursery rules? Have to breastfeed only in the nursery?

Under the terms on our insurance I have to have semi private room.

carang is offline Registered User

if you decide to go public, you can keep your baby with you at all times... but not your husband. i don't know what it is like if you go private at QMH, you might want to check it out.

they support breastfeeding but are not overly knowledgeable and are a little overworked to help out much if you need it. but you are doing this for the second time, so you may not need much help.

good luck!

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

Sorry to break the bad news but I wish I had gone to the Matilda. My experience at the HK Sanatorium was not great. I think you can keep the baby with you in the daytime but you need to feed in the nursery at night time if you are in a semi-private room.
    As for my breastfeeding expeirence please read my post in the following thread:

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/breastf....html?p=866005

Needless to say it was not that great. I was only in the hospital for 2 days. I was also not allowed to shower in the labour and birthing room. They had me hooked to a monitor the whole time. I even made a huge fuss so that I could stand and walk with the monitor attached to me and they said it was the first time they had a monitor hooked onto someone standing....

buzzybee is offline Registered User

I am 33 weeks pregnant and still have not been confirmed a place at either Matilda or Adventist where I have been on waitlists for 20 weeks. However my obstetrician doesn't seem to think it is going to be a problem. She says that it is a staffing problem rather than a bed shortage problem and she gets "around it" by supplying her own midwives to assist at her patient's deliveries. Hopefully she is right!
    It may be worth discussing it with your obstetrician?
    I would also love to hear if anyone else who was on a waiting list has managed to get into Matilda last minute.

Matty is offline Registered User

It seems these days with the bed shortage, that it is more dependant on who your Dr is rather than when you are waitlisted to get a bed at Matilda.

I've known ladies who have been taken on as patients, later in their pregnancy, by Dr's who only deliver at Matilda, and have had no problem, while those with Dr's who deliver at multiple hospitals and have been waitlisted since 6 weeks have had to go elsewhere.

Is switching Dr's an option for you? It may be a way to guarantee your spot.

falle001 is offline Registered User

hi

just to let you know i did not have a confirmed place at the matilda until a week before my due date in january. i went 11 days overdue and had no problem when i phoned to go into the hospital. was a bit concerned before hand but my obs said all would be fine and she was not concerned. i know other people in the same situation and all was okay. hope this helps!!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

I wanted to thank everyone for their replies! I was a little stressed out when I wrote the post...pregnancy hormones doing their thing!!

Yes, Matty I agree, I have friends whose Drs only deliver at the Matilda and last minute they have got a bed there whereas those like me with Drs who deliver everywhere end up with no bed! I have thought about switching doctors but I really like and trust mine- and our insurance have just paid his package for my antenatal care so g_d knows what would be involved in trying to get that refunded etc.

Chances are I will need c-section, as first was, and I'd rather not take any risks with natural delivery 2nd time around. Am v happy to another c section....but this means whatever hospital I am in I will be there for 5 days....!!!!

Am going to put pressure on my Dr, and 'threaten' to have baby overseas if don't get bed in Matilda and see what that achieves!

carang is offline Registered User

not necessarily, i was released from QMH after 3 days....both times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast