Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED -- helper just gave me a one-day notice resignation

claifox is offline Registered User

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED -- helper just gave me a one-day notice resignation

My helper just notified me this morning that she is leaving us effective tomorrow, saying that she cannot do her work because her back hurts and so she is returning to the Phillipines this week.

I am a working mother. She fell down about two months ago and we took her to the doctor then. After a week after she fell, she said she was feeling much better and has never once said anything about her back since. I am sure there is more behind why she is leaving because we have had a few conflicts in personality, but it was nothing I would have fired her over and I would have hope that she would have the consideration to at least give a one month notice.

So now she is leaving us on a day's notice and what am I supposed to think and do? I have to leave my job and lost my own visa here? She has not given me any decent amount of time to find a new helper.

What are my rights here? She has been with us only since May, so less than a year.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Unfortunatley if she is returning to the Phillipines there isn't alot you can do.
    It might be worth notifying the immigration dept, just to be sure she really is leaving HK.

It's a more expensive option, but you might want to consider calling Rent-a-mum for some temporary emergency help.
    That way, you'll at least have someone to care for your children while you find another helper.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Your entitlement as an employer:
    • Since she's given you a day's notice, you are entitled to take away one month's wage from whatever outstanding wages that are due. If you do not owe her anything, she has to pay you the one month's wage in lieu of the notice.
    • You are still required to pay for her ticket back to the Philippines though.

Do you have a friend who can babysit while you are at work? I've had to recently go through that and found two ladies who can babysit while both of us were at work. We never actually used them but I interviewed both. One is Indonesian who speaks fluent English and the other is a French girl. Please PM me if you need their info.
    Last edited by spockey; 02-23-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo

Sage is offline Registered User
    Yep, Spockey is right. Check her contract. There should be at least one month's notice or a month's wages in lieu of that either way (if you want to let her go or if she wants to go).
    Check the labour department for nannies and helpers (these are local ladies and unfortunately, most of them only speak chinese).

cemily is offline Registered User
    Just pm you.

e

claifox is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for your help!

1/3J is offline Registered User
    Did ou hire your helper through an agency? If so you should talk to your agent so your agent can put this in record and help you to find a replacement.

rclarafina is offline Registered User
    your helper must have been looking for someone to hire her and is willing to wait until 6 weeks the least...maybe she had enough of you or the situation in your household. you have the right to ask her to pay you for one months' notice.