Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Due Oct-Dec 08??

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    That's so funny! In Chinese tradition, they say the opposite! They say, if you're having a girl, the mother will look more beautiful, more radiant. If you're having a boy, the mother's features will change and hence look strange!!! Well, I guess one of them is right.... 50% of the time!!!

Sorry to hear about your friend Nicole... It must be difficult......

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My skin on my face is SO DRY lately!! A bit of acne, but nothing MAJOR... I'm getting a bit of acne on my shoulders though! So annoying! Although at least no one can see it most of the time!!

PF - are you Chinese? My husband is Chinese, but mostly raised overseas, so he doesn't know as much about "Chinese old wives tales" and all that... They seem to vary from person to person though...

One Chinese friend told me that I shouldn't eat mango while I was pregnant because it was bad for the baby! I looked up "mango, pregnant" on google and the first link I found was some doctor recommending that pregnant women eat a mango a day for the first trimester because he says it helps to prevent miscarriage!! You never know WHO to listen to!!

kharel is offline Registered User
    Hello all,

I am now 9 1/2 weeks pregnant and just back from a week in Thailand where I could not eat anything except pasta and bread :( My tummy is big, very bloated though, not baby :( I already look about 7 months and as I am trying to hide it from work it is not easy.

I have my first appt at Tsun Yak hospital ((not sure on spelling) next Tuesday, what should I expect in my first appointment? DO you know what they test your blood for., I want to make sure it is as detailed as the UK as at home we test for everything? ALso will I get a scan at public? All advice welcome?

I have been very weepy this week and feel so so tired I can barely wake up, I can not wait to get to 2nd trimester.

How are all you other mummies?? Shall we arrange a lunch day soon and all meet up so we can compare bumps!!

Katie
    xx

tinks is offline Registered User
    Keep the old wives tales coming - I'm loving reading them all

Nicole - Sorry to hear about your friend - I had a m/c last year and they really are devastating.

Kharel - Good luck for your scan on Tuesday. Not sure when they'll test your blood or what they'll test for. I had fertilty treatment so I had all the usual tests, i.e. rubella, HIV, Hep, etc before I got pg.

I had my 12 week nuchal scan and bloods earlier this week and got my results today and we're low risk - sooooo relieved.

Am off to the UK this weekend for three weeks - can't wait to see my family. If I miss the lunch, have a great time and I'll hopefully catch up with you all on the next one

Bubbles is offline Registered User
    Hello Ladies,

I am a first timer and pretty much terrified. This pregnancy
    was unplanned, but we are trying to get out of the 'terrified mode' and move into euphoria. I feel super guilty about being so terrified and I must admit like all of you I too am weepy :(

I'm due in mid November, and have already had my initial obygyn
    consultation. No scan yet...just lots of information.

I work full-time, but thankfully have been on holiday for the last 2 weeks (I teach as a NET with EDB).

I would love to meet other mama's and share this amazing experience.

You all seem absolutely lovely :)

Hey Bubbles! Nice to have you join us! I think a lot of us here are 1st timers too! So you're not alone! Well, I went through an excited phase at first - which lasted probably only one week (!?) looking forward to my bump etc etc... But then the thought of having something moving inside me started scaring me a little!?! And the thought of having a baby in the flat (we have a dog and two cats!)... with all the cables everywhere and sharp corners on tables etc etc... But, now I think I'm starting to get more of a bump and have started shopping for maternity clothes, it's got me all excited again! I'm in the second trimester now so I guess it's going to start getting a lot bigger soon! Now I can't wait! I'm always looking for that first kick, but thinking maybe it's just gas!! :P I thought I could feel something a few nights ago, but it lasted a long time so I reckon I must have been dreaming!!! :P

Nic - yes, I'm Chinese, raised in England. I only know of some old wives' tales - the mango thing my sis-in-law told me a few weeks ago (cos she knew how I love mangos!!). There are a lot of things they say you shouldn't eat, seafood - your baby will get eczema, melons - similar reason to mangos, I think... I'm not really sure what else, I'm not really following it... :P

Some other things you shouldn't do either, such as:

- no painting, otherwise your baby will have a big birthmark!
    - no pushing pins into a pin cushion, it'd lead to miscarriage!
    - no cutting/use of scissors, your baby will have a cleft palate!
    - no digging/pounding, it'd lead to miscarriage!

Oh, and the way to tell whether you're having a boy or girl (when you have a big bump), if the bump is "pointy", it's a boy, if the bump in "round", it's a girl. But I guess people don't have to follow that nowadays since they can tell from the scans!

Oh, and as for Tsan Yuk, I'm registered there as well!

At the first appointment, they do a blood test, I think they said it tests for 9 things, can't remember them all, but included HIV, Hepatitis, rubella.... And you also get to book a date for your hospital tour (we're going on ours tomorrow!), antenatal talks, breastfeeding class and also book a date for a scan at QMH at around 20 weeks. And then you also make the next appointment to see the doctor, that's when they feel for your uterus and use the doppler machine to hear your baby's heartbeat!!!

Cos my dad has diabetes, I had to go again for a blood glucose test, had to drink this disgustingly sweet drink! But I think everyone has to do it at some point (if you dont' have fam history, then you do it at a later stage)

ninahh is offline Registered User
    just came back from my third appointment. the baby looks like a shrimp now and meassures already 4 cm. the heart is strong and it looks all healthy. i am a little surprised about how how often, or better seldom you guys have a scan. you are talking about the ultrasound, or do i misunderstand that (sometimes my english leaves me, he he ). my doctor does an unltrasound every time i go. i have already three pictures.
    pf- i love wour wive tales. but how can i avoid the cutting, i am a kindergarten teacher and art work is one of the main things to do. :-)
    nina

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Scroll to top