Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Due Oct-Dec 08??

kharel is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    Hello everyone,

So had a mini drama last week as I started to bleed quiet heavy I went to see a private dctor and he said 60% of women bleed all through their pregnancy and although scary it is totally normal PHEW! I also had a scan and heard the heart beat and it was amazing! I am so relived it is all ok.

Go to the docs on Friday for all my blood results etc - feel anxious all the time I go in case something is wrong - I must realx!! Can we please start a Essentials To Buy list that we can update and email each other - I mean what do you actually NEED when you bring the baby home????

I wish someone could give you a guide book on all of this!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I just got back from my appt - we went to Dr Lam at the Hong Kong Prenatal Diagnostic Clinic - I REALLY liked him. The only "bad" thing was that they were running REALLY late (like an HOUR late) - and his staff don't have the best English skills. Some of them are ok - but the nurse assigned to me was pretty bad...

The ultrasound was AWESOME - and they give you LOTS of shots, and a free CD with the scan on it!! I'd totally recommend them - but prepare for them to be running late. Maybe get an early morning appointment. It seems like it's a VERY busy clinic!!

He also told us what it was - I asked him how sure he was and he said "I'm tempted to say 100% sure!" - and I'm only 13 weeks!! We haven't decided on whether we're going to tell everyone what we're having though...

Kharel - you can find some "what to buy" lists online - but a lot of them seem to have a lot of things that I don't really think are necessary... like you don't need to buy a highchair for the baby until it's a bit older, it's not NECESSARY to have when you bring the baby home!!

I decided against doing all the blood testing for downs syndrome and genetic diseases. I don't need anything else to worry about!! And I wouldn't abort, even if something was wrong... so it's kinda irrelevant, I think...

mazamarie is offline Registered User

Glad to hear everything is ok.

I found this essential items list on a baby website I belong to. (its an NZ site). From what my friends who have just had kids say it's pretty good.

Fabrics should be soft, machine washable and preferrably cotton rather than synthetic which can irritate your babys skin.
    • 6 stretch suits
    • 6 cotton vests (with wide or envelope neck)
    • 2 cardigans
    • 1/2 loose jumpers
    • Socks
    • Booties
    • 1-2 hats (bonnet and sunhat)
    • warm jumper for winter
    • light t-shirts for summer
    • scratch mittens
    • plastic pants
    • bibs

For the Bed and Bedroom
    • A bassinet or cot
    • A new baby mattress
    • Fitted sheets
    • Blankets (maybe a comfort blankie)
    • Changing table (optional)

For Changing Nappies
    • Nappies (either fabric or disposable)
    • If you're using disposable nappies you may want a disposal bin
    • Nappy sacks
    • Changing mat
    • Cotton Wool
    • Wet wipes of some sort or a wet cloth in a plastic bag
    • Nappy lotion/baby oil
    • Barrier cream
    • Two nappy buckets for fabric nappies
    • Saftey pins for fabric nappies

For Feeding Baby
    • 3 Nursing bras
    • Breast pads
    • Breast pump/expresser
    • Bottles (with teats and covers)
    • A sterilising kit
    • Bottle Brush
    • If you are not breastfeeding you will need baby formula

- if you are breast feeding you don't really need any of the bottles etc straight away.

For Bathing Baby

• Towels
    • Baby Bath or large plastic bowl
    • Soft face clothes and sponges
    • Baby shampoo and soap

Mobility and Accessories
    • Baby changing bag
    • Pram
    • Car seat - only if you have a car
    • Baby carrier/sling
    • Toys - lightweight colourful toys that can't be swallowed or hurt baby

hope it helps.

nino is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    Hi Everyone,
    Had our 12 week scan and OSCAR testing on Saturday. My husband was unfortunately not there - he missed a good one! The baby was moving, I saw fingers and legs and the spine. It finally felt "real". And I got a call from doctor's office this afternoon that tests came back normal with a very low risk of down's. That's one less thing to worry about.
    Although we're well beyond the point when you can safely share the good news, I still haven't told many people. We go for a another scan in two weeks, maybe then? I also can't comfortably look for baby stuff, worrying that I'll jinx things. I guess I just have to get over it!
    Hope everything is going well with everyone! Looking forward to meeting up with everyone soon!

tinks is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Kharel - Sorry to hear that you had some bleeding but glad to hear all is ok. I had some bleeding early on in my pregnancy and it really is horrible. Good luck for your blood results.

Nicole - Glad the scan went well - you must be chuffed at finding out the sex.

Mazamarie - Thanks for posting the list - it's fab.

Nino - Glad your OSCAR went well and you're low risk - it's such a relief isn't it? We didn't tell many people after our 12 weeks scan, except for family and friends in the UK. I'm 17 weeks tomorrow and I still haven't told lots of people here - they must think I right chubster at the moment as my waist has disappeared and I have about 14 chins We are slowly getting round to telling people but I still don't feel that I can shout it from the rooftops...just in case something goes wrong.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I tend to be a really "Don't worry about anything" kind of person (I think it's an Aussie thing - she'll be right, mate!!) - and I've gotta be honest, I'm not worried about my baby having any diseases... I mean, I figure - either it does or doesn't - and there's nothing I can do about it either way! And the "chance" that it does is sooo small anyway - so why waste my energy worrying about it??

I've lost about 3kg (7lb) since I found out I was pregnant!! But my tummy is heaps more round, particularly at night!! Does anyone else find that? At night, before I go to bed, I feel HUGE - but then in the morning, my tummy has disappeared again!! I asked my hubby if he thought it was all in my imagination and he says it's not - it's seriously about 4 times as big at night!! Craziness...

RUCHEE is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbly View Post

By the way, in case you are not aware, every August, there is a huge Baby Fair held at the Convention Centre. Lots of things like toys, diapers, formula, strollers, grobags, bumbo seats etc. go on sale there, so you might want to hold off shopping until you go to the fair. Don't know the dates yet though.
    hey bubbly!!!

there was one similar kind of fair at ASIA WORLD EXPO last week.......but there was nothing on sale.
    can u please let us all updated about the august i never heard about it.

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Scroll to top