Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

moving/ nailing/drilling during pregnancy-ok?

Rachel L is offline Registered User

moving/ nailing/drilling during pregnancy-ok?

I heard that Chinese believe not to move, nail or drill during pregnance. Is it superstitious or true? any other reasons? what do you think?

wenyihsu is offline Registered User
    Not sure about Cantonese since I'm Taiwanese but the older Taiwanese generation definitely believed in this. I think they believed that any of those things that you mentioned could harm the "spirit" of your unborn and / or cause deformities in the baby. Anyways, I took the approach of better to be safe than sorry when I was pregnant last year. Was a little hard since we were in the midst of renovating our new apartment. I'd have to come check out our apartment during lunchtime or after the workers were done. We did move when I was 7 months pregnant - I was told that as long as I'm not present during the actual moving (both moving in and moving out), that it should be okay. Also, I was told that after you move, the old apartment has to be left alone for about 1 month (i.e. no nailing or banging or fixing up). I think the idea is that the "spirit" of the baby might still linger at the old apartment. We ended up paying one extra month of rent to ensure that the apartment was left alone. Also, once we moved into our new apartment any kind of minor touch up or work was left until after our baby was born. Anyways, we now have a healthy 9 month old son.
    But really, it's really a matter of what you believe in. I know of friends who moved, nailed things, etc ... during their pregnancy and all have healthy babies too.

jaykay is offline Registered User
    Certainly a belief my wife carries and she is local. So we didn't do anything and we were trying to move as well. If the right place had come along she would have moved to her parents for a few days, but it didn't so didn't become an issue.

Rachel L is offline Registered User
    Thanks very much for sharing.
    I am planning to have a baby and want to move to a bigger place. I don't know when I will get pregnant and not sure whether it's ok to move. If we move, only my husband and I will take care of the move and therefore I need to be there during moving in and out. Even we don't drill the wall for pictures etc, to a certain extent, the bed or cabinets etc need to be re-assembled and nailed... I heard "nailing" or "drilling" will make a "scar" on baby's face. Not sure how much I should "believe"....

Matty is offline Registered User
    We did loads of renovating while I was pregnant with my first.
    He turned out just fine, completely gorgeous and scar free.

I do love chinese superstition, it's so creative!

mamaS is offline Registered User
    I don't believe in this too....when i got pregnant, we move house (country), everything was already settled so we cannot postponed the move anymore, i was 6 weeks pregnant, on the day the movers moved our bed/furniture out, i had bleeding, to make the story short, i lost the baby.

So, on my next pregnancy, i make sure, nobody will nail, move nor do anything with our bed....ahhahahah....supertitious or not, just follow it if you had bad experience before.

I now have a healthy gorgeous baby. Good luck!