Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Heads & Hardwood Floors, YIKES!

mimies is offline Registered User

Baby Heads & Hardwood Floors, YIKES!

My husband and I are new parents and our son will be 11mos. as of March 30th. He currently loves to walk around on his own and we try our hardest to catch his every fall but it seems impossible. He manages to fall backwards & hit his poor little head on our hardwood floors at least once a day. We would like to know if this happens to any of your children or are we being horrible parents?
    Thanx

sky123 is offline Registered User
    Don't worry you can't watch them all the time. Our baby rolled off the sofa at 6 months and then fell off our bed at one year's old. I felt terrible each time but babies are not as fragile as we think.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    My son and I were recently looking back through his childhood photos for a school project. We were unable to find one photo from age one to three years without a large bump on his head. I promise I didn’t deliberately take pictures of him when he hurt himself – it just seemed a natural part of life in those days. I think it would be a rare child who managed not to get hurt as he learnt to crawl, walk and run.

My son also banged his teeth when little. The dentist told me that 1 in 4 boys and 1 in 10 girls bang their teeth so badly that it requires a visit to the dentist. So even after the toddler days are over don’t expect the head banging days to be over.

carang is offline Registered User
    it is IMPOSSIBLE to catch their every fall, be they literal or figurative.

what are you going to do when he wants to play on the monkey bars or dive off the diving board? you cannot protect them all of the time. it's how they learn.

i know it's easy for me to say, but i've also lived through two kids learning to walk.

relax and enjoy the good time! he'll soon master the walking thing and then move onto the climbing/jumping off everything in sight phase...

mimies is offline Registered User
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded, it gives us some peace of mind knowing this is normal & our son WILL be ok

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    I can say this because he survived and no harm done---but we used to joke that our son looked like he was growing two horns out of his forehead.
    On a more serious note, just make sure you know the signs of a concussion, in case he takes that one-in-a-million fall.