Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

moving to HK from the US

brainleacher is offline Registered User
    hmm, as i said they are hard to get... maybe somewhere in mong kok... however, IF you have family or friends visiting from overseas ask them to bring a transformer along

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I lived in the States for 4 years until recently, we moved back to Europe (and are now planning to move to HK later this year). I had very good experiences with www.world-import.com (located in US) to buy various converters for a few PBK lamps, my Kitchen Aid, Cuisinart, etc. For the lamps I bought step up 200W and a large 1500W step up for the kitchen appliances (you need to keep in mind that appliances surge when turning on). I send them a question with regards to what they advised me to get, got a nice and quick reply. Spend about $125 on 5 or 6 converters incl. the big one. Good money considering a Kitchen Aid is about 4-6 x the price here! I just shipped them with me. Working great for us. Highly recommended. You just may need a different plug (we have 220V in Europe as well, but different plugs) but I am sure they can help you with that too.
    Last edited by MommyTo3; 02-29-2008 at 02:16 AM.

jens-babes is offline Registered User
    We always found our converters at Radio Shack. We had about 8 while living in Europe 2 years ago. We gave them away when we moved back to the US...now I wish we hadn't...we are moving to HK!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Converters are much easier to find in the US. We use one on our printer, but bought the rest of the small appliances in HK (we had a check from the company specifically for that).

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jens-babes View Post
    We always found our converters at Radio Shack. We had about 8 while living in Europe 2 years ago. We gave them away when we moved back to the US...now I wish we hadn't...we are moving to HK!
    We lived in Chicago (Lincoln Park; Ashland / Diversey) for 4 years and recently moved back to Europe (Dec 07) and now we're moving to Hong Kong too (as of August 08)! Going back early June with my oldest to do some shopping, meet friends, etc.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    You could easily get transformer at all the hardware shops in Central, HK. It depends the "watt" you need, the price is from HKD 100ish.
    Bear Lau:

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    Bear Lau,

Do you know where you can buy these transformers in Central, HK? We need them for our US appliances like our Kitchen Aid mixer which has a 325 watt motor. The ones used for our US computer and printer look like basic travel ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12