Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Breakfast or not?

kerry is offline Registered User
    Hi, I am glad that you can use my suggestions. As for the feeding schedule, you want to try and make distinct times and have time limits for how long they eat (this will become increasingly important as they get older and feed themselves). The reason is that you don't want to be feeding them all day and then they don't ever feel real hunger and then feeding can become a battle. If you have to skip a meal, he may eat a lot more at the next meal. It will be trail and error.

A possible schedule is followings

7am - cereal with fruit plus offer him milk/bottle
    9:30 - infant yoghurt and a few crackers/Cheerios ect
    Noon - rice/noodles/veggies/meat (same as you are doing) + Milk
    3:00 - some fruit, little blocks of cheese
    6:00 - dinner + milk
    7:30 - offer him milk or maybe some more cereal. If he refuses that is fine. If he really needs that evening snack he will start waking up earlier in the morning.

Times can be adjusted as you want them to suit your lifestyle. Just try and keep the meals between 2.5 and 3.5 hours apart and don't let him snack for longer than 20 minutes or it will interfere with the next meal.

Let me know how it goes.

shaanmom is offline Registered User
    Hi, thanks for the mail!
    Our current schedule is a bit different, but it seems that I'm feeding a lot less than your suggestions. At the moment, I offer milk as soon as he awakes, and if he drinks some (usually only a couple of ounces, or if we're lucky, upto 4oz), then cereal is 1 hr later. Otherwise, b/fast shortly after wakeup. Usually only cereal, no fruit as he takes quite a bit of cereal with milk (I try to make up the milk qty in the cereal, about 6 oz). Then a short nap at 9:30 or so, and then a fruit when he awakes. A bath at 11:30 followed by a nap and a milk at about noontime. If he drinks milk (again, hopefully at least 3oz), then lunch is 2hrs later. Otherwise, lunch at 12:30-1 (or whenever he awakes) if he refuses milk. Lunch he enjoys, and then pretty much plays all day without a nap break. At 3 we try to give him a snack, then offer milk at 5. Usually he will have something (custard is always welcome!). Dinner is usually 6:30-7:00 depending on when he had the snack. By the time we're ready for bed at 7:30-8:00, he's already almost asleep, and won't eat/drink anything else till the next morning (except maybe a drink of water)!
    Will make some adjustments, and will let you know how we get along.
    Thanks a lot for your help! :)

carang is offline Registered User
    no reason why you can't mix a little fruit in with the cereal.
    also, it seems like you are constantly trying to feed the poor thing. he might be getting a little tired of always eating. imagine how you feel after a huge dinner, you don't really feel like doing much, right?

i'm not saying starve your child, but i think that you are a little too flexible with meal times.

eg) why would you give lunch at 2pm sometimes?
    why not give lunch and milk at the same time? you like to wash your food down with something to drink, no? so baby will be the same.

also, by 9 months, baby should be having two naps, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

"Then a short nap at 9:30 or so, and then a fruit when he awakes. A bath at 11:30 followed by a nap"

it sounds like the sleep times are interfering with the rest of the schedule. do you think that is the case?

I'm all for being flexible and not sticking to a very rigid routine, but some routine is good for baby. i think that your whole routine needs to be looked at carefully.

good luck!

Hi carang, thanks for your comments. Actually, his schedule is something that has evolved around him, I'm just trying to keep up with him! I used to be able to "make" him take a nap at fixed times, but now I find that as he's getting bigger, he resists my efforts. He takes a short catnap around 1/2 hr at 9:30 as he gets up pretty early, and then he likes his midafternoon 1 or 1 1/2hrs. Sometimes he will have another catnap around 5 if he's had a busy day like going out or for playgroup. I've always wondered how moms can put their kids down for naps, I've never been very successful with that! My only saving grace is that he goes to sleep & wakes up more or less at the same time every night & day, and that's a relief!

For his meals, I have tried giving milk as well, but he refuses, and prefers water (not even very keen on juice)! That's why I've been giving him more yoghurt, cheese & milky treats... We try to give him lots of different foods and so far, he seems to enjoy whatever we've presented. Will definitely try mixing fruit with the cereal for b/fast.

Nowadays, he's teething (late teether) so I wonder if that has affected his appetite for milk? Also, he's recovering from a bad cough/runny nose, a minor surgery (before he got sick) and returning home after a month in Singapore, so I guess he just needs some time to get back into the swing of things...

My husband says I'm being too obsessive & overly worried - maybe so, but that's what moms do, isn't it?? ;-)

carang is offline Registered User
    you do find that with the first many mums are a little more obsessive... if they're eating too much, not enough, if they haven't gotten their teeth yet, if they fell down and bumped their head, if the mother ate sushi when she was expecting.

we all tend to get a little more...umm....blase(no accent on my computer!) i think that it's only natural as we've seen some of the behaviour before and have an idea of how to handle it.

i would do as your hubby suggests and just take a little step back and take a breath.

sometimes, babies need to be guided. if he doesn't appear to "want" a nap, maybe take him into a darkened room and just lie beside him and sing lullabies. that might be all that is needed.
    my daughter fights sleep like it is her worst enemy. however, when pushed to sleep, she'll sleep for 2 hours in the morning!

you need to remember that you are the parent and that YOU are the one who makes the rules (they need to be flexible for this age, but you might as well start now). you will be amazed at how quickly children learn and adapt.

(ps> i don't think i have all the answers myself, as my daughter goes to sleep REALLY well, but wakes often at night! argh!)

good luck!

Hi, thanks for the comments! I have started holding back a bit more, and am def more assertive when I can see that it's naptime and he REALLY needs it! He's like your daughter - will fight & struggle against sleep; and when we just hold him tight and take him into his darkened nursery with the lullabies, he'll let go and knocks out in minutes!

I can already see that his timings etc are changing as he's growing so I try not to dwell too much on it, and although I seem quite flexible with his schedule, I do control a lot of it!

Always appreciate comments/advice from "seasoned" moms, so thanks again!

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that (touch wood!) he's got his appetite back. In fact I'm considering moving to the next level milk as he seems to be enjoying his milk again. He also seems to be settling into a better sleep schedule... The surgery and the cough must have upset his routine. Thanks for all your advice, it's great to have a forum like this where you can get unbiased and reassuring help (rather than a curt "it's OK, babies are like that sometimes")... only moms can understand what it's like!! :) Thanks all!!

a mum is offline Registered User
    Seems that cereal is a very popular kind of breakfast. Wonder if I should serve it with cow's milk or formula milk? Also, what sort of cheese is good for babies?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast