Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Breakfast or not?

a mum is offline Registered User

Breakfast or not?

My 9 month old baby is at the 95/97 percentile in terms of weight and is having 2 solid meals (lunch and dinner) and 3 milk feeds slot in during the day. Given he absorbs quite well I wonder should I introduce him to breakfast?

kerry is offline Registered User
    Hi,

One might think that because he is on the 97th %ile, he is big. What %ile is he for length. If he is on the 97th as well, then perfect! That is what we want to see. Growth charts are just a guide for babies growth, they are an average of babies weight/length for age. There are several different growth charts out and are there based on different ethnic groups. We would like to see infant near the same percentiles for both length and weight.

That being said, I think even if he is on the big side and is interested in having more at breakfast, then offer it to him. I suggest giving him solids first and then offering him his formula/breastfeed after. He will regulate how much he needs.

Let me know if I can provide anymore assistance.

Denise Fair, MSc RD

joannek is offline Registered User
    my daughter was also at 95th%-tile weight (50% height) at 9-12 mths. she was at 50%-tile weight & height when she was born. so she's considerably gained a lot of weight during the 1st year.

during the past 2 years (she just turned 3 last mth), i gave her healthy foods & let her eat as much as she wants (3 meals/day plus healthy snacks in between). i remember she was 10kgs @1 year old, 14 kgs @ 2yo, and 16kgs now. yet she's grown from 50%tile in height to 75% in height, from 95% tile in eight to 70% in weight now.

what i'm trying to say is, if you let him eat healthy foods (fruits & vegs, healthy grains, lean protein), lots of running & jumping, you don't have to worry about him being overweight when he turns 3. he'll be lean & healthy. he'll grow to be taller because he has the substance to grow.

my girl is still chubby, but definitely not fat, because she's grown 12 cm in the past year, but only gained 2kgs. a bay needs those weight in them so that they can grow tall & healthy.

a mum is offline Registered User
    Kerry, thank you for the helpful advice. My baby milk intake can vary from 18-25oz a day depending on 1) if I need to mix baby food with millk as part of his solid meal 2) of course his diet. I am worried that if I give him solid before his milk for breakfast, that might significantly reduce his milk intake (7oz each feed). Will that be a concern? Also, should the solid and milk bottle be given back to back? He is not quite in the same percentile for both his weight and height. I think is 95 and 50 respectively. Is that a concern?

Hi, Regarding the height for weight, your son is perfect. Most babies are a little higher in the weight department as the are relatively inactive and as joannek pointed out, the almost always lean out when they become more active. Plus it can be beneficial to have some extra stores for when they get sick and don't eat as much.

Go ahead and feed him his milk first. As he is still only 9 months, the majority of calories still comes from his milk. He will adjust his calories as he needs. Over of the next 3 months however, as you are transitioning to a more solid diet, start giving one meal before his bottle and make sure to be offering water as well. As his calories increase from solids, it will decrease from milk, but he still needs fluid. Gradually, he will be eating all his solids first, following by milk and then... eventually the milk in a bottle will stop and he can have it with his meals in a sippy cup.

Also, I would recommend giving the solid meal and bottle back to back. As you are trying to establish "meal" times and he is'n't eating every hour or two. This sets up a good pattern and makes it easier for you as well. If it is hard at first, start half an hour apart and gradually make them back to back.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

shaanmom is offline Registered User
    Hi, I have some concerns for my 12mth boy, hope to get some advice. He is recovering from a bad cough, and has in fact lost a little wt - now 9kg at 77cm which is on the low side. He has lost his taste for milk but is happy to eat his 3 solid meals (cereal with his milk for b/fast, rice with veg/chicken or pasta with veg/chicken for lunch & dinner). I try to give him snacks in between like fruit or crackers, but am confused as I would really prefer he drink milk, but he refuses. What can I do? Can't start on yoghurt or cheese at the moment because of the cough (still phelgmy).... However, he is really active and barely naps during the day, only 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, and sleeps well from 8:00pm till about 6:30-7:00am (waking up once in between for comfort). He refuses milk after his dinner as well - I suppose he eats well, so is quite full. Any suggestions?? Shall I start on the next stage milk (for 1yr+ on Gain Advance) I would really like him to put on some weight...! Thanks :)

Hi, I do have some suggestions for you. It does seem that he is eating a good variety of foods which is wonderful. He is at the age where he should be on more solids than just milk (but milk is continually important!). Stick to your routine of meals and snacks and continue to offer the milk. Go ahead with the yoghurts (the petit danones or infant yoghurts are actually a soft cheese - they have lots of calories for a small volume). It won't contribute much to phlem, same with the cheese. If anything.. it will be the milk that will have much more of an impact.

What you want to do is increase fat. I know as adult we try to limit intake of fat but it is very necessary in infants and children. So look for higher fat snacks but watch the kind of fats. You want fats like olive oil, non hydrogenated vegetable oils, canola oils and fats low in saturated fat. Ones to avoid are hydrogenated fats, anything with tropical oils such as palm and coconut (which are everywhere in hong kong!) and fats with high saturated fats. Fats in milk tend to be more saturated but are highly recommended.

Try adding butter/margarine/oil to his rice, pasta and vegetables (just a teaspon or so), spread butter/cream cheese on crackers, then put on some cheese, adding fruit to his cereal and sauces to rice/pasta. Make him a little milkshake with lots of fruits and some ice cream, offer avocado it is very nutritious and high in calories and if you feel confortable you can try peanut butter or other nut spreads. 12 months would be the earliest to introduce peanut butter as it can be highly allergetic. If you have a family history of peanut allergy or feel uncomfortable then don't introduce it.

You can try the next stage milk if you prefer. Either he will like it and drink a little more milk or he won't like the new taste. If he does'n't like it, then switch back to the other formula as you want him to get as much milk as he can. Once his weight starts improving, feel free to introduce the next state formula.

I hope this helps.
    Denise

shaanmom is offline Registered User
    Hi Denise,
    Thanks so much for your post, it is VERY useful and really reassuring! Will take on board all your suggestions, except for the peanut butter as I really don't know how he will react (as he's adopted, no idea of family history/genetics...). Think it'd be better to wait maybe till he's 2 or so, and under the dr's supervision... Have heard many scary stories of allergy-related convulsions etc, so am quite wary of nuts at the moment. On the other hand, he has done quite well with egg yolks and blueberries, although strawberries don't seem to suit him as yet.
    Do you have any suggestions for a feeding schedule, it seems we are feeding him the whole day, and he gets a bit annoyed with us at times!!
    Many thanks again!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast