Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to Kuala Lumper

JANE892 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Moving to Kuala Lumper

My husband has just sprung this on me!! It's happening very quickly.

Does anyone out there know of an expat website (like this one) for Kuala Lumper/Malaysia?

Does anyone have any expat friends who live there (in the centre of town...near the park/patronus towers who has a small baby?

I'd really like to find some young, first time Mum's who live in the centre to make friends with and to ask some questions ie...medical care in KL for my baby etc etc.

I'm Australian and my baby is 9.5 weeks old.

Would appreciate any suggestions/info as I'm rather worried about this move!

Thanks everyone.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Hi Jane

My cousin is an expat in KL. They love it there so much that he's deferred a move to Switzerland! But I'm sure not all expats in KL feel the same way. I'd hook you up but they've got tweens and teens not bubs.

(1) Living near the Petronas Towers is nice and convenient but living in any city centre, you'd be exposed to more pollution (main source of pollution would be traffic). Most expats live away from the city centre where you can get a mansion with a private pool amidst away from the hustle and bustle of the city at a decent price.

(2) As for medical care, they prefer to go home unless it's an emergency. In fact, they do the last time my niece was ill only because the company he works for provides for the emergency flight "rescue". But there are good private practitioners. The public sector is not the most ideal place to approach for medical help.

Good Luck! Personally, I love KL coz of the wonderful blend of cultures, food and of course SHOPPING!