Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Spitting out milk after feeding

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

Spitting out milk after feeding

My baby's 6wks old and has started spitting out mouthfuls of milk after most of the day feeds. He's on breastmilk but needs to be topped up with formula. Sometimes the spitting is a mouthful of clear liquid (I haven't given him water yet) but most of the time it's regurgitated milk. Is this normal and is there any way to stop so much coming out?

Thanks!:crib

joannek is offline Registered User
    my daughter used to do that. but it was always milk, and it always come out when we're burping her. they say it's cos there's wind in her tummy. it didn't bother her & she was gaining weight well, so i just let it be. sometimes i think is because she's already full & fell asleep on the breast & kept sucking?

maybe you have enough milk in your breasts already? is there a reason why you top up with formula?

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the reply.

I top up coz it's been like that since he was born. I wasn't getting enough milk then and I don't think the supply is enough now. When I pump, there's only 1.5oz, so I feel better topping up. Perhaps I'll use less formula.

cool-gaga is offline Registered User
    My baby who is now 11 weeks does the same once in a while. I make sure I don't move her too much after each feed e.g. nappy change before feed etc. Just this morning she spit out 3 huge mouthfuls of milk - I suspect the whole feed is gone. But she is putting on 300g per week and sleeping through the night so I guess she must have had too much hence the spitting.

joannek is offline Registered User
    fingerscrossed, pls see the thread about not able to pump milk, but baby is gaining weight.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    A certain amount of spitting up is normal. This is why it is advisable to have a cloth over your shoulder when burping a baby.

If you are interested to wean from the supplements and fully breastfeed - Kellymom.com has information about weaning from supplements to the breast and a useful form to fill in which helps you know exactly where you are and what the next stage is. I would recommend filling in the form because it lets you know exactly where you are - it is often difficult to know that you are making progress unless you have the forms filled in accurately.

Weaning from Supplements Instructions
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...upplements.pdf

Weaning from Supplements Log
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...log-sample.pdf

It is always a good idea to have lots of support during this period. I would recommend seeing a LLL leader or a lactation consultant to review positioning, latching-on and general breastfeeding management.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

atcyn is offline Registered User
    My little girl spits up too, sometimes huge mouthfuls and we did a few things to reduce the chance of her spitting up:

1. nappy change before feed
    2. feeding in a more upright position
    3. kept her in a sitting position for 15-30 mins after each feed
    4. feed more frequently but less ounces

and I read somewhere that so long as he's putting on weight and don't spit up anything brownish or greenish, he should be fine.

Hope the above is helpful for you.

Take care.
    Last edited by atcyn; 03-06-2008 at 02:57 PM.