Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cat & pregnancy ?

Rachel L is offline Registered User
    hong kong

Cat & pregnancy ?

Heard it's not good to have cat during pregnancy. I believe there are a lot of people keeping cats at home during pregnancy
    Any experience to share in terms of what need to pay attention or be careful?

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Both of my pregnancies were fine with cats. I rarely touch the litter (ask hubby or maid to help out) and if you do, wash your hands right away. I've heard something in cat's poo are not good for pregnant women.

capital is offline Banned
    Cats are fine, it is their feces to be concerned with cats can have toxoplasmosis in their stool, but if the only thing your cat ever ate was comercial cat food the don't woryy, if your cat eats raw meat, or goes outside and possibly eats birds/mice then you should have someone else change the cat litter. You can also get toxoplasmosis from eating poorly cook pork, and probably other poorly cooked meats.

Paddles is offline Registered User

Your doctor should test you for toxoplasmosis to see if you're a carrier, if you are the risk is slightly higher and you really shouldn't go near the litter tray to be on the safe side. If you don't have it then you can proceed with caution.

Indoor cats are much less likely to cause you any problems, it's more likely with cats that bring in dead animals and have access to the outside world which isn't so common in HK.

My Dr just told me to be very careful, especially in the first trimester - always use rubber gloves and wash your hands afterwards and make sure the litter tray is not near to food preparation areas. We actually opted to foster our 2 out because my hubby travels a lot and we don't have a maid and didn't want to take the risk.. and we had a friend who was more than happy to have them for a while - looking forward to getting them back soon.

kambo is offline Banned
    Hong Kong
    I've had cats, dogs all through my pregnancies no problem at all. And a good chance of delegating the litter cleaning to another member of the family.

My son now sleeps plays with 3 cats.