Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tips for breastfeeding in pubic?

Jeanmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks joannek. The information is very helpful. Yeah, I think once I actually start nursing in public and I will get the hang of it and be more comfortable.

Thanks fairy-godmother. The article is awesome. I don't even know it exists as I am new to the board.

Again, thanks everyone for your inputs!!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Jeanmom,

Remember that even if we seem very confident now we have all been through the worry of breastfeeding in public for the first time. Before you manage it, it seems to be a really big hurdle to overcome. But the first time doing in public is the hardest. You tend to feel very self conscious and image that everyone is looking at you. As you carry on doing it, it becomes easy and after a few times you being to wonder what the big deal was.

I would recommend doing for the first time with someone who is very supportive. This may be your husband but if he is worried about you showing any breast then find someone else for your first time. This is why we started to hold the LLL Tea Breaks - so that you could be sure of a supportive atmosphere if it is your first time.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanmom View Post
    From your experience, did you find traveling with an infant by yourself manageable?
    I travelled to England by myself when my first daughter was seven weeks old. It isn’t really a question of whether it is manageable or not but how much you want to go. I defiantly wanted to go and see my family and show off my new daughter (the first child of the generation). So nothing was going to stop me and nothing did.

I could have been much better prepared than I was. For example when I travelled the next time I made sure I had a change of clothes for the baby! So when I spilt my water over her and had no change of clothes. I managed to wrap her in a woollen shawl I had with me and dry her clothes on the back of the seat. By the time we got to England she was once again dry and dressed. But you live and learn.

When I travelled with my youngest child I found having her in a sling and a suitcase on wheels was the easiest way. I like to have a hand carry bag that fits on top of the suitcase as this means that I only have one thing to pull behind me.

carang is offline Registered User
    hope you mean that u had the baby in a sling and your luggage was a suitcase on wheels and NOT

that you had the baby in a sling and a suitcase on wheels!(that must have been very uncomfortable for her and i don't think that a suitcase on wheels is airline approved for carrying babies!)

LOL! sorry, couldn't help myself!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    You are right only the baby was in the sling.

But I do remember once when I went to the supermarket and returned with the 20 kg bag of cat litter in the sling (a Chinese mei die type) and carrying the baby who was only about 9 kg at the time. The old women in the park thought it very funny.

LLL_Sarah: Thanks! Hubby is very supportive indeed. Tea break is a very good idea. I really hope I'll have a chance to meet other nursing moms-to learn and to support.

carang: That's funny.

barbwong_130: The reason I want to leave early is to show my daughter to my parents-in-laws who haven't had a chance to meet her in person since birth. My daughter is the first grandchildren of both our families. I can see how my parents and my parents-in-law's faces lighten up when they see my daughter through webcam. I just hope my little one won't have much difficulty falling asleep on the plane and start screaming.

joannek is offline Registered User
    it's the wonder of breastfeeding, at least for me,was when i was on the plane with my baby, when she was tired, she's nurse & that was a sure way of getting her to sleep. she never rejected the breast, so it also avoided her from screaming. honestly, so glad i was bfeeding her when it was the first time she flew!

Thank you all for the great advice. We've booked the tickets and will be back to HK in May. I am so looking forward to seeing our families. I also bought a nursing cover and am determined to nurse my little one in HK!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast