Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Wish I'd never started using a BF pillow

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Wish I'd never started using a BF pillow

...because now by 10 week old baby won't feed from my right breast without it!

I'm so frustrated!

My little boy only likes to lie on his right side when he feeds. So when feeding from the left breast this is fine (with and without a breast feeding pillow- I use the boppy). So up until now whenever I have to feed him from the right breast I use the boppy pillow and the arm chair of the couch and feed him whilst in the football hold (so he can lie on his right side)....so...when we get out and about (which I want to do more and more now he's getting older) its next to impossible to feed him from my R breast. I've tried and tried to get him to feed the "normal way". When we are out my husband even tries to hold him in the football position so he can feed from the R breast but without the boppy pillow and couch he just won't do it. He scream and screams. Eventually when we are out I just give up and let him suck the left breast and then rush home to express the R breast before it explodes.

I'm really frustrated with the situation and I need to resolve it because I'm flying back to Australia mid April and I can't do a 9 hour flight without feeding from the R breast (hand pumps don't work for me...and I take it I can't take an electric pump on a plane!).

What can I do?

jenayds is offline Registered User
    My electric pump has a battery pack you can use if you need to be mobile, would that kind of thing help? It's an Avent Isis IQ Uno out and about pack. I used it when I had mastitis and it was the best thing. I had tried other pumps with no luck at all but this was the first to actually extract milk from me!

I don't have any words of wisdom re the positioning thing, that sounds very frustrating. Good luck.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Rather than starting with your baby in the feeding position try starting with him in an upright position in between your breast. Usually I would suggest that both mother and baby are skin-to-skin, although often older babies like to have a vest on while trying this. Let the baby work his way down to your breast. Your job is to support your baby and let him lead the way rather than you directing the way.

Babies are born with the ability to get to the breast if we let them (just like all other mammals). Sometimes the babies slide gently down to the breasts, others bob their way down, some bend their backs and some seem to leap down. Once at the breast the baby will want to come from underneath with his nose opposite the nipple to latch on.

Usually the baby will end up in an angle (often at 45 degrees) with his head at your breast and his bottom in your lap.

Once he is used to latching in this way it isn’t necessary to have full skin-to-skin contact.

If you still have difficulties after trying this position I would recommend getting help form a La Leche League Leader or a lactation consultant.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

JANE892 is offline Registered User
    Thanks to both.

I just went and checked my breast pump (medela mini electric) and I noticed for the first time that it has batteries!! My husband and I are SO relieved....worst comes to worst I can always express the R breast on the plane and give it to him in a bottle. Thanks for the suggestion Jen..I never thought to think mu electric pump might take batteries (baby brain!).

Sarah...I'll definitely try this next time he feeds from the R breast. I guess its also about practice right? "Training" him to do it this way rather than always letting him use the BF pillow in the football position.

Thanks very much,
    Jane