Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Where does your helper sleep?

Clowe is offline Registered User

carang - ours is not illegal because technically speaking it is "collapsable". so long as the structure is "collapsable" (can be taken down if we were to move) and not "permanent", it's all right with the gov't. we were warned of this and made sure that ours would be classified as legal. these cabins are sold very commonly in any garden center or patio furniture shop, and they generally only sell legal structures (unless you go to a dodgy one which we didn't).

your friend's sun room probably could not be classified as "collapsable". i think buildling a separate standalone structure is easier (to be classified as legal) than building an annex to an exisiting permanent structure.

re your question... it really depends on the shed you buy. i'm sure you can get one that is sturdy and strong enough to resist a typhoon, though it also depends on how high up your patio is. ours is in our garden fully exposed to the elements but on the first floor, and my helper said her windows hardly rattled during past typhoons. so it really on the sturdiness of the cabin you buy and the floor you're up on! good luck :-)

our structure is legal because it is considered "collapsable"... we had it checked out, because we had been warned about setting up illegal structures. so long as the cabin is "collapsable" (can be taken apart or taken down if you were to move) and not "permanent", you're fine. ours is definitely ok, because we actually had someone (a friend of a friend from Manpower) check it out for us. also, the garden shops commonly sell these structures and unless you go to a dodgy one, they'll be honest with you about what is considered "collapsable" and what is "permanent." generally they don't sell permanent structures.

re your question, i'd say it depends on how high up you are and the type of cabin you buy. they vary from flimsy (would flip in a second in a storm) and very very solid and sturdy, and i'm sure one of those could withstand a typhoon. best to ask the folks in the shop as i'm sure this is a common question they get.

sorry i double replied there because i thought my first reply didn't go through!!! ignore one of them. it's not like i have THAT much free time at work :-)

webbman75 is offline Registered User

i know a friend, their helper lives with their parents , not too far away and would help out during the day and then at night would go back to their parents. I am sure this is illegal...

jenayds is offline Registered User

It's very interesting reading everyone's replies, thanks.

My latest thought was that I could curtain off half of the baby's room so the helper still had a private space but we could still use a bit of it for the baby/change table etc. At the moment we have moved his cot into our room anyway, and I don't know when we'll move it back in.

If we do that the space isn't that much bigger than the storage area, but she'd have the benefit of airconditioning and a TV/DVD for herself. Then when the children are old enough to go into bunks (if we get special bunks then that could be in about a year) she could have a room to herself. Any comments?

Also, where could I get wooden bunks made in HK? I am thinking of something like this: http://www.bunkloft.com/Junior%20Fro...d%20Slide.html

shri is offline Administrator

You can get wooden bunk beds from Ikea. Have also seen the slide bed in the Shatin branch.

jenayds is offline Registered User

Really? Wooden bunk beds aren't in their 2008 catalogue. Did you see this recently?

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I'm pretty sure you can get custom made beds at Jade Rattan in WanChai.

I think it is far preferable that you learn to live with not having the ideal storage amount and let her have the storage space for herself. Everyone needs privacy in their life and deserves the chance to unwind in peace, let alone to turn the light off when they want :)

Lots of helpers do live out but it's a risk for all concerned. I'm not sure how strict the gov is on enforcing though. It seems to be another one of those things that are legislated against but not really enforced, like the selling of fake bags, clothes, watches etc all over HK. Had to laugh the other day when i saw that someone had been busted in Kowloon for selling a fake watch. Yeah, like that doesn't happen every second of every day here.

Good luck and get used to living with as little as possible!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast