Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Where does your helper sleep?

mintycat is offline Registered User
    In my old small flat, it was a 3 bedroom which we lived in before we even had kids. One was the master bedroom, one was made into a home office and the other was a spare guest room. I got pregnant and the spare room became my LO's room. Then we hired a helper and there was a small room inside the kitchen with its own bathroom that was meant to be a helper's room but it was really small. All our rooms were small. My LO's room could only fit in a crib and closet and changing table and nothing else. The home office could only have a desk and bookshelf and a small cupboard and nothing else. So the helper had to stay in the room in the kitchen but she said she'd rather stay there than to share a room since she'd rather be in a small space with her own bathroom than to have to come out to use the guest bathroom while we were watching TV in the living room etc. She liked how she can sleep anytime she wanted in her own room, read or listen to music. I also prefer that because LO slept at 8 pm and we had the monitor in our room and prefer that we go get LO in the morning rather than have the helper get LO.

I have interviewed many helpers and quite a few have told us that they'd really rather have their own personal space no matter how small than to share rooms with kids.

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks clowe!
    I'm glad to hear it! we have a village house, so the room would either be on the roof (3rd floor) or garden...
    i'll have to think about it.
    thanks for the info!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    It is not illegal to have a live out help IF it has been OKed by the Immigration Department. The problem comes that they changed their policy (not the law) on 1st April 2003. So if you are hiring a help after this date it is much harder to prove that you need one to live out - harder but not impossible.

I managed it but we are a household of six (four adults and two children aged 14 and 7) already living in a three bedroom flat with no separate helper quarters. I’ve heard of lots of people who have been refused a live-out helper but when you actually looked at their living conditions the reason they couldn’t accommodate the helper was because they choose to change bedrooms into other living spaces, like studies etc. I don’t think the Immigration Department approves of this. (Although I think it is a reasonable thing to do with a spare bedroom - but is it spare if the helper needs it?)

jenayds is offline Registered User
    Hmmm, our storage area doesn't have a bathroom, so she'd have to share the kids bathroom anyway.

Still thinking...

jenayds is offline Registered User
    Just thought I would update with our compromise solution. We have cleared out the storage room and that will be the helper's private space with her wardrobe, comfy chair, TV etc, where she can go to be by herself and we won't go in there. Just for sleeping, her bed will be a loft bed over my 2 year old's toddler bed. He sleeps through the night so he shouldn't disturb her, and she will be in there for sleeping only. Hope it works out OK!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123