Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My 10week old baby refused to drink from the bottle!! HELP!

fennho is offline Registered User

My 10week old baby refused to drink from the bottle!! HELP!

hi there

i have been doing total latch on for my bb gal since birth. Initially, during confinement time, there was once or twice, my mom fed her ebm via bottle, and she was fine with it. But as i was struggling to establish my milk ss and i read bottle ebm might cause nipple confusion, i stopped. Now that my supply is well established, i would like to intro a bottle or 2 for her daily feedings and also for me to rest. But to my horror, aft settling down in HK (we're from SG), she simply refuses to take anything plastic! I have tried various teats, NUK, Pigeon, Avent, latex, silicone, nothing works! She will jus use her tongue to push the teat out and scream her lungs out like we're trying to slaughter her! I've also tried feeding her in her half asleep state, but she will also cry. My mom tried, hubby tried, sister tried, i have also tried, nothing works! She will stop crying as soon as we take the teat out from her mouth and can even stare at the bottle. Once, she even track the bottle when my hubby tried moving it away to the table! HELP! How am i going to wean her off the breast in the future?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Some tips that can be used if baby is reluctant to take the bottle:

* Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be too hungry,

* Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth, try laying it near his mouth and allowing him to pull it in himself,

* Try different feeding positions. Some babies like to sit propped against the caregiver’s raised legs; others prefer not to look at the caregiver and will take a bottle better if they are held facing out, with their back against the caregiver’s chest,

* Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically – rocking, walking or swaying from side to side – because this may be calming to him,

* Insert the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth when he’s sleeping,

* Keep trying, but remember that the baby can be fed the mother’s milk with a cup or spoon if the baby continues to refuse the bottle.

The tip which seems to work best as the baby gets older is to try to make it very different from the breastfeeding experience. So have the baby propped up and let her hold the bottle too or sit with the baby's back towards the caregiver.

Good luck,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

hi sarah
    thanks for the tips. I have tried almost every method that was listed. Just havent propped her up cos her neck isnt that strong yet to be sitting up. Even in half-sleep, my hubby tried inserting the teat into her mouth and she started whimpering and crying. :( If i wait till she's much older, i'm afraid it's gonna be even harder, or at least dats wat i heard. A fren of mine said when she tried to wean, her daughter went on a 24hour hunger strike! So scary! I am so tired out, that's part of the reason why we wan to intro her the bottle now so that hubby can share the feeding session at night and let me rest a bit.

sunrays is offline Registered User

My Lo was the same and I too tried different bottles teats etc. Then someone said I should try MAM bottles and teats and it worked like a dream. Before it was like I was trying to choke her and she took the MAM bottle as if she'd always had it. Worth a try. You may be able to just try a teat with one of the bottles you have. You can get them at Mothercare. Good luck

Sage is offline Registered User

Please don't flame me for saying this but babies have very short memories so keep trying different teats and bottles even though she rejected them before. One day, she'll just take one of them. Good luck.

Chinchilla is offline Registered User

Have you tried Adiri bottles? They were designed to be as like the breast as possible, http://www.adiri.com/

They can be bought at
    Milk Factory Limited
    Room 1113
    113 Argyle Street
    Mongkok
    Kowloon
    Tel: 2540 4065
    Fax: 2537 8187
    Email: [email protected]
    Web-site: http://www.milk-factory.com

sunrays
    wats MAM? Where is the mothercare outlet in HK?

chincilla
    thanks for the recommendation, will go and chk it out.

sunrays is offline Registered User

MAM is the name of the brand of bottle. There is a Mothercare in Prince's building and one in Ocean Terminal in TST that I know of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast