Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When do you give fever medication?

carang is offline Registered User
    antiboitics should be used to fight bacteria, not viruses. which is why when you have a cold in hk, turn down the dr prescribed anti-biotics! they won't help a cold.

joannek is offline Registered User
    that's the thing. i'm trying to balance letting my child fight it by herself, and giving medication only when necessary. but it's such a difficult call....

luckily, i found a ped who only prescribe anti-biotics to what he truly believe is a bacteria infection.

shaanmom is offline Registered User
    Hi Joannek, can you tell me which ped yr using? Can pm me. thanks! :)

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I think Drs are getting better in HK at not over prescribing medicine. Both the GP and pedietrician I take my son to refuse to give antibiotics for a virus. They also both refuse to give young children cough syrup etc.

I think when you give medicine for a fever depends on each child. When our son gets a fever they get very high and he is prone to febrile convulsions so we tend to act on the side of caution and give him medicine as soon as his fever starts.

I have found that panadol syrup does not work on him so we use panadol suppositries or volatrin suppositries.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    Hi, am reviving this thread because bubs has just come down with his first cold/flu at 6 months. As a first time mom, the above information is very useful, but I have the following questions:-

1. Do babies normally run high temparatures when having colds, or is this more if they have flus ( or something stronger)

2. When should we bathe him in tepid water - is this still useful if he has a low grade fever, or should we just leave out the bath?

3. What to do if baby has stuffy nose? He doesn't have it yet, but I know what it feels like as an adult to have a stuffy nose, can imagine it must be very uncomfortable for them.

i go to Dr. Thondup. I went to several very famous ped, but i end up choosing him cos he doesn't give much medication. i've never brought LO to him for colds & coughs cos i give LO homeopath. we go to Thondup when LO has a fever, or sth other than a regular runny nose/cough. LO had rashes all over, he only gave anti-histamine (i also requested it, cos LO was so itchy she couldn't sleep.), and antiseptic bath gel. both used for only 5 days. He said if we felt she got better earlier than 5 days then we could stop the anti-histamine.

He's very understanding of kids & moms. So i highly recommend him.

i don't think a cold comes with a fever. a fever is a sign that the body is fighting an infection. as we have mentioned before, it can be viral or bacteria. if LO has a fever & under 1 year old. i suggest you bring him to see your ped, to be on the safe side.

my LO had low grade fever when she was 9mths. but it was like 38C, and she was only whining a bit. i did bring her to see my homeopath, and she got better with the remedies. what i did when LO was under 1 year, i always brought her to the ped to check after or during a cold/cough. I was paranoid of chest/ear infection.

there's this thing (bought from Eugene) that suck out the mucus from bb's nose. not the bulb suck, but a tube thing with a suck on one side & a collection area in the middle. i never used it though, cos my LO would struggle so much if we put sth in her nose. i did try saline nasal spray, which helped a little bit. also raised the mattress, so LO was sleeping on a slight slope. humdifying the room also helped.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks joannek. We did take bubs to the docs, and he said it was a common cold but we were told to expect a temperature . bubs was running close to 40 last night and we had to put him on Nufren or something. I would like to avoid fever medication but at that level I suppose I have no choice.

Where can IO get homeopathic treatments for infants?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast