Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

When do you give fever medication?

joannek is offline Registered User
    dr. sonal at imi. imi.com.hk

rach is offline Registered User
    i agree in not overmedicating but fevers of 40 degress (or 39.5) and over I thought could be more dangerous than the illness itself - my son starting vomiting and went limp at 39.5 and i beleive convulsions can also happen (in babies that are prone). a really high fever affects the brain so be very careful. I don't beleive giving them medication and lowering the temp means their body is not fighting infection - just that they are comfortable and can rest which is important to help fight infection. i think it is important to keep the fever down.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my baby just had a febrile convulsion this morning....everything was so fast luckily my reaction was to go to the clinic which was just down the road....she was 39.2 and her convulsions lasted for over 30mins...she's in ICU now but they can't pinpoint what caused it...no infection, no bacteria, nothing....they say it's a growth spurth / metabolism that might have caused it, but are still digging for answers....

anyhow, as I read this thread, I'm thinking that with what happened today, I will be giving my daughter medication when she has even a low fever...I know, you grow when you have a fever, but I don't think I can handle another onset of convulsions.....to parents out there who are hesitant about medication....I would really think clearly about withholding it completely.....the experience I went through is not worth it....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123