Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

BF interval stretch longer = milk ss drop?

fennho is offline Registered User
    oh...one more thing I'm unsure of..u were saying a normal lactating breast by 4th month shud feel soft all day long...how soft? Or abit of hardened full feeling? Or total soft like pre-pregnancy soft? Then how do we gauge if we got anymore milk or if the milk ss has depleted? Then if in any event we need to be away and hv to pump..would a soft breast be able to react to a pump by then...I noticed I only get alot of milk if I pump when I'm engorged! Wat if I pump and amount expressed is insufficient to feed bb? I'm asking this becos although I am a full time SAHM, we never know when we need to be away from her..maybe dats y mommies like my fren still pump knowing its causing oversupply becos its better to hv more than less.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Fennho,

Babies waking up often at night is not related to having a low supply of milk. The e-mail from your friend didn’t actually give any information to be able to tell if her baby was getting enough milk or not. She didn’t mention the weight gain or the baby’s output.

The only way to tell that a baby is getting enough milk is to look at the baby – not the baby’s habits.
    • Is the baby growing?
    • Is the baby having six wet nappies every 24 hours?
    • If under six weeks, is the baby having at least two dirty nappies in 24 hours?
    • Is the baby feeding between 8 and 14 times a day?

These are the only way to tell if your baby is getting enough milk.

Things like:
    • Your baby breastfeeds very often.
    • Your baby suddenly increases the frequency and/or length of his breastfeedings.
    • Your baby seems hungry soon after being fed
    • Your baby’s nursing habits, weight gain or sleep patterns don’t compare with other babies you know
    • Your baby suddenly decreases his nursing time, perhaps down to five to ten minutes per breast.
    • Your baby is fussy
    • Baby wakes up at night
    • Your breasts leak only a little or not at all
    • Your breasts suddenly seem softer.
    • You never feel the milk let-down or it does not seem as strong as it was before.
    • You cannot express much milk
    • Your baby will take a bottle after nursing
    • You weigh your baby before and after a feeding and it appears he didn’t gain much.

are just false alarms and do NOT mean you have a low supply.

If you can read Chinese we have a pamphlet on our web site which will explain these points in more detail at http://www.lllhk.org/1443-17HK-Chinese.pdf

If you don’t and would like the English version please e-mail at [email protected],com and I’ll send you the pamphlet, Increase Your Milk, as an attachment.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Is it safe or even advisable for BF mommies to get one too?
    Thomas Hale PhD in Medications and Mothers’ Milk give the Influenza Virus Vaccine a lactation risk of L1. This is the safest category.

Can I dye my hair?
    Yes

Can I apply strong acne cream on my acne?

Do these creams include steroids? If you can give me the names of the medicines I can look them up in the book, Medications and Mothers’ Milk by Thomas Hale PhD. (This is the book on the subject of what medicines are safe to take while breastfeeding.)

Can I apply tea tree oil?

Thomas Hale PhD in Medications and Mothers’ Milk gives tea tree oil a lactation risk of L3. This is the category given when not enough information is known. He says, “Use directly on the nipple should be minimized.”

Can I apply anti dandruff lotion on my scalp?

YES

Can I drink cold drinks?

YES
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 03-20-2008 at 11:57 PM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

thanks sarah!!

the flu vaccine - so is it advisable to get the jab now?? altho it's L1, it's still a risk rite? are the flu vaccines in ALL HK clinics standardize since what i know is, there are 1001 types of flu.

tea tree oil - errr...i dont mean applying it directly on my nipple, more on the acne on my face.

Taking any drug is always a risk (to anyone – not just if you are breastfeeding). You always have to weigh the risk of not taking the drug against the risk of taking it. Having said that the risk with an L1 drug is really very, very small.

L1 – SAFEST
    Drug which has been taken by a large number of breastfeeding mothers without any observed effects in the infant. Controlled studies in breastfeeding women fail to demonstrate a risk to the infant and the possibility of harm to the breastfeeding infant is remote, or the product is not orally bio-available in an infant.

Medications and Mothers’ Milk by Thomas Hale PhD

Using tea tree oil on your face should be no problem. I think the reason that has been written is because tea tree oil is a possible medication for thrush. But if you have thrush on the nipples there are better drugs/medications to take.

SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

hi sarah...long time didn't hear from u. I hv since ceased all pumping in the middle of the night. Wake up with breasts rock hard and wet night dress, breast pad soaked thru and wet bedsheet as well! Now I'm worried if my supply is diminishing becos during the day my bb is taking longer than usual to finish a feed! Last time she used to take only 15-30mins to suckle...now she can latch for 1hour plus! Im worried its due to my supply going down thus milk flow super slow and breast not making milk fast enough..this is so confusing...

Deleted as posted twice!

Dear Fennho,

You aren’t going to like this answer but it really doesn’t matter. If your milk flow has slowed a little – that’s fine – it doesn’t mean the baby is taking less milk. The only problem is if you are very uncomfortable with the hard breasts – if no, then leave it – if yes, express a little out until you are comfortable again.

The only way to tell if your baby is getting enough milk is:

[1] Is the baby growing?
    [2] Is the baby having six wet nappies every 24 hours?
    [3] If under six weeks, is the baby having at least two dirty nappies in 24 hours?
    [4] Is the baby feeding between 8 and 12 times a day (under three months)? Or about 8 feeds if baby is over three months?

The answers to these questions should be “yes”.

If the answer to question 1 or question 2 is “no” call me on 2548-7636 – as I don’t want to deal with failure to thrive questions on an open forum.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 03-26-2008 at 12:32 AM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234