Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Laundry Detergent

dhirsh is offline Registered User

Laundry Detergent

Has anybody used the product Purity Laundry Liquid by Nature's Organics to was their babies clothes? If so, what did you think of it? Has anybody used Ivory Snow for their baby? I've heard Dreft is good for washing babies clothes. Does anybody know where to get it in Hong Kong?

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I know you can get Dreft at gateway in Sheung Wan, but I am not sure about the others. I got a local brand of baby detergent from P&S to do a few things pre-baby, but I want to see what other people's recommendations are as well.

tikkunolam is offline Registered User
    There are many options for baby detergents. CitySuper and Three Sixty carry Seventh Generation baby detergents. Also, Earthwise brand found at Three Sixty has baby formulas. Several of the natural unscented detergents are fine for babies such as Nellie's Laundry Soda (CitySuper). I've heard of more problems from Dreft than the natural products. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something suitable for your baby.
    Last edited by tikkunolam; 03-17-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: punctuation

Matty is offline Registered User
    We use Earthwise laundry detergent ( from 360) for all our washing, including baby's.
    That way we can wash everything together.
    My son and husband have eczema, and are sensitive to everything, and we've never had a problem with it.

We just use the regular one, it's very mild and has no fragrance.

MeowMeow is offline Registered User

Dreft

Quote Originally Posted by tikkunolam View Post
    There are many options for baby detergents. CitySuper and Three Sixty carry Seventh Generation baby detergents. Also, Earthwise brand found at Three Sixty has baby formulas. Several of the natural unscented detergents are fine for babies such as Nellie's Laundry Soda (CitySuper). I've heard of more problems from Dreft than the natural products. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something suitable for your baby.

Could you pls tell me what are the problems from Dreft?
    Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    hey d! getting all prepared, huh?

for both of our kids, we just washed their stuff with ours. we never bought any special detergent. neither of our kids are any worse for wear...

see you soon!

tikkunolam is offline Registered User
    The problem with Dreft for some people has to do with the dyes in it (I believe it is blue dye in the liquid formula but I cannot remember). Some people with sensitive skin need to avoid dyes and fragrance. Even though Dreft is formulated for baby clothes, there are still some people that may not be able to handle some of the chemicals in it. Also, there can be a difference in formulas, whether a powder versus a liquid and the pH of the formulas vary. Liquids require chemicals to keep the active ingredients in suspension so they do not separate. These ingredients depending on the washer, load size, and pH of water may not necessarily rinse out thereby causing skin irritations if there is build up on the clothes. Powders do not need to be kept in suspension so even though one person may not react to the powder version of a brand, they may react to the liquid formula of the same brand. I'm not saying Dreft is bad in general but for people with skin sensitivities, there could be some drying/skin sensitivities based on active ingredient/pH/or additives. I have sensitive skin and use all natural/fragrance free powders for all my clothes and have found through trial and error which brands work for me.