Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding - any food to avoid??

fennho is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding - any food to avoid??

hi there

i am doing total breastfeed for my 10week old bb. Are there a list of food i should be avoiding in order
    1) not to have my BM supply decreased?
    2) and not to cause my bb to get wind?

I have heard from friends that cauliflower, broccoli shud be avoided cos they will cause wind to babies. (my bb got reflux so any wind will make it worse).

For decrease of supply, i was told to avoid cucumber, pao sam, cordyceps, bittergourd, kao choi (in chinese, dunno the english name). Anymore?

I am very paranoid in taking any food cos it will have direct impact on my milk to feed baby...yet i am mindful that i shud eat a variety of food for the bb's benefit as well. Sigh.

cicci is offline Registered User
    Just try different foods and see what bothers your baby. My son was fine with me eating broccoli and cauliflower, but not OK with yogurt, so you just have to try and see. I definitely never drank alcohol during breast feeding, not even a sip. In terms of decreasing milk supply, never heard that one before.

my_ldbug is offline Registered User
    Aside from alcohol, also should try to avoid caffeine.

In terms of "making milk" the pui yuet that I had for my first born, she advised to make fish and papaya soup. Papaya is supposed to be a good food to have to support milk production. But I do agree with Cicci that you should try to have a balanced meal and try out different foods - my son couldn't take garlic, onions and cauliflower but was good with almost everything else.

Good luck! I'll be on this menu in another month or so when we welcome our second one. This time I'm going to try and BF longer (I only managed to BF for 4-5months because of workload).

joannek is offline Registered User
    black bean (dao see), malt (mak nga), pigeon, will reduce milk supply.

when i drank a lot of milk, my daughter got eczema. no chili/spicy food.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    When I was breastfeeding nothing I ate made any difference to the amount of milk I had. I know that there are things like pigeon and ginger which are meant to decrease your milk but they never had any effect on me.

Personally I think all the talk about this food or that food increasing or decreasing your milk is a red herring. The only thing that really makes a difference is how much milk the baby drinks. If the baby drinks a lot you make a lot and it the baby drinks a little you make a little.

capital is offline Banned
    I ate everything I liked including spicy foods. Teh only problem I ever had was eating BBQ potato chips baby would get a diaper rash. Everyone is different which is why there is no list.

I think if you are eating things in food amounts vs medicianl amounts, then you should be fine. Eating ginger in food won't make your milk go down, if you eat large quantities, more than one normally would in food, maybe, but I really don't know.

fennho is offline Registered User
    hi all

thanks alot for your responses..indeed, everyone have their own lists. If we follow, end-up alot things cant eat!

joanne
    i'm surprised u said malt will reduce supply cos i was told the opposite!

Sage is offline Registered User
    Like capital, I eat everything, especially very spicy foods (I'm Malaysian). I eat sushi, sashimi, citrus fruits, tomatoes, broccoli, everything. The only thing I don't drink is alcohol. Also tried to really cut down on caffeine (or drink it 3 hours before feeding/pump). I think once you get your milk going, you can eat everything. I heard that coriander reduces the supply but I love coriander and eat loads - nothing happened! Baby did not get any reaction to any foods so far.