Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anyone suffered from 'early contractions' before?

VegemiteKid is offline Registered User

Anyone suffered from 'early contractions' before?

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before. I am 29 weeks pregnant and for the last month have been getting stronger and more uncomfortable 'contractions' each day. My dr has recently put me on ventolin tablets to try and stop them / prevent early labor. But it is getting increasingly disturbing to the point that when they happen now it literally makes me stop for a breath for a minute or so until the worst of it passes. This is my second child and I had nothing like this first time round. It seems to be Braxton Hicks gone crazy. I am just worried I really will go into labor soon as they are getting so strong. Anyone else experience this?
    My doctor has just said if they start getting worse and every 5 to 10 minutes and really painful - not just uncomfortable tensing - go to Queen Mary not Matilda because it's so early. I probably get 15 a day of varying intensity. Any ideas would be great!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Hi VegemiteKid,
    I had contractions starting at 29 weeks with my first pregnancy. I am now pregnant with No.2 (25wks) and hopefully it won't happen this time!! I wasn't put on meds the first time b/c the contractions were nowhere as strong as you describe but I was put on partial bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. I did however have to get 2 lung boosting injections (steroids) because the dr. did expect the baby to come early due to other health conditions (I have an irregular uterus) My son ended up being born at 33wks and we went to QMH even though we had booked the adventist because apparently the private hospitals won't take you if you are under 34wks because they don't have the proper neonatal facilities. Just try to rest up and keep off your feet (haha i know this is impossible with 2 kids!!) do you find they come on a certain times? like if you've gone a while without fluids or just walked a lot/been active? This was the case for me the first time.

miaka is offline Registered User
    i had early contrations during my second pregnancy, but i didn't pay notice to when they started bc i read that it was common. however i don't think i had them as painful as you.

about a week before i went into labor, there were a few times i had false alarms. the only reason i didn't go to the hospital those times was bc, after about 3 hrs, the contractions just stopped.

try to relax more. if you can, go to the bathroom more often. pressure from the bladder could cause contractions.

for a different reason, i got progesterone shots (1x/week) to relax my uterus while i was visiting in the states during my second pregnancy. you may want to ask your doctor about this option.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Hi vegemite kid,
    I had early contractions at 33 weeks, and I was also put of the v-tablets. (not ventolin - that's asthma! But I can't remember the name).
    However, I was told that they should only be used as a temp measure - so maybe do some research on long -term use?
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

VegemiteKid is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your replies. It is quite a bizarre thing. Rest seems to be the best way to slow them down. But hoping not to spend the next 10 weeks in bed!! Apparently it is called 'uterine irritability'. So I am having stern words telling it to stop being so cranky and be nicer to the baby. Good luck with your pregnancies too.
    V.