Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Infant car seat & Taxi seat belt

miao is offline Registered User

Infant car seat & Taxi seat belt

I've got a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP car seat for my new born baby. I bought this one specifically b/c it can be used without its base, as I wanted to use it in taxis. However, the very first time we tried it in a taxi, we found a problem: we're supposed to pass the seat belt around the backrest of the car seat and slip the seat belt through the slot on the back of the car seat. HOWEVER, the taxi seat belt was not long enough to be passed around the back of the car seat. We called the Hong Kong sales agent of Peg Perego, but they said they'd never received this complaint before and suggested that we try it in another taxi as a taxi car made in a different year may have a longer seat belt. We just tried it again today, and it still didn't work!

We are just wondering whether anybody has tried to use a rear-facing infant car seat (either Peg Perego or other brand) in a taxi in Hong Kong, and have you experienced similar problem?

Lucylou is offline Registered User
    Hi - we tried with ours when we first arrived here in HK - we had to put the lap part of the belt over the car seat and not around it as the seatbelts wouldn't fit. I gave up on using a carseat and I now carry the baby when getting a cab - not ideal I know.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Depends on the taxi, we have a rear facing maxi cosi and sometimes the belt is too short on older cabs to go right around / into the correct position and we have to improvise. If there is time we'll try another cab, but if not we use it however we can as its better than nothing.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    We also have a rear facing maxi cosi and most cabs it fitted into fine.....but we did come across a few taxis with shorter seat belts and so then like LeahH we also improvised.

capital is offline Banned
    I don't know about your specific seat, but graco seats, when used without the base the seat belt fits into 2 slots near the front of the seat (approx. over the baby's legs) so I would think it would fit a shorter belt.

samiakt is offline Registered User
    Hi
    I have just bought a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio car seat for our to be newborn and the car seat belt of our car does not fit around the infant car seat. Please advise if a Peg Perego adjustable base is a good and safe option? or is there any place where we can buy seat belt extensions..will this work?

Mama Casali is offline Registered User
    Oh no. Was going to buy a Peg Perego Tomorrow. Really worried about this seat belt prob in taxis.